The End of Day Crewing Plus?

I do struggle with the whole “we like it but the fbu are against it” premise.  ‘We’ are the fbu!!  The fbu are the voice of its members, not the decision makers.

I have been in the fbu for my whole career and a few years ago, I started a shift pattern that the brigade supported but the fbu didn’t.  After some adult conversations between those that wanted to work it, the service and the fbu, it went ahead.

And I’m still in the fbu 😉

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Self rostering 224 could potentially be somebody on a self rostering system choosing to work the traditional 224 by self rostering the same pattern.

That's the only way it makes any sense (to me)

Self rostering is by its essence flexible so no difference there I'd imagine.

What ever you want to call it, DCP, self rostering, I never hear a bad word about it except from everyone who isn't doing it and are on 224!!

It may work for some but not others, everyone is adults and if some agreement is made locally and everyone is happy I don't see an issue with it.  Similar with those on 24's if everyone is happy then so be it.

• Agree 1

North Wales FRS has started a fire cover review and among the options is for 2 whole time stations to move to "Day Crewing", wholetime personnel work only daytime shifts and do not provide any night cover at all. Retained personnel provide 24hour cover at the station.    There has been no suggestion to increase the number of retained personnel.

Do any other FRS already work this duty system ?

The second trucks at the Hereford and Worcester fire stations currently do. The first is crewed by the 2,2,4 crews. I beleive a few in Cambs, Warks, Derbyshire and Cheshire also run “day duty”

On 18/07/2023 at 18:25, Kinmel said:

North Wales FRS has started a fire cover review and among the options is for 2 whole time stations to move to "Day Crewing", wholetime personnel work only daytime shifts and do not provide any night cover.

Being pedantic Kin that’s then Day Duty, one of the five recognised shift systems within the GB.

Day Crewing is determined by the same day staff performing a night response from home/off station.