Pole Drops

Thought I should get involved and start off a topic...

In my old brigade there was only 1 or 2 stations that had pole drops, and they were still used daily.

The brigade I have just transferred to have banned their poles on “H&S” grounds, 1 FF telling me they came round and cut them out! Apparently the padlock solution wasn’t working....they have recently built a few new stations with a 1st floor and no pole drops were installed.

So I was wondering, do your stations still have them? And are they still used? 

• Thanks 1

GMFRS have a handful of stations that have pole drops and still very much in use. Included is the brigade's newest station, Wigan built last year. Most stations here are single storey though.

Poles are far more prevalent in LFB due to the many older stations and of course space is a premium meaning single storey fire stations just don't get built (the old Plaistow FS was the only one I can recall with no pole). They're also a lot bigger as they typically dropped straight down into the appliance bay, Paddington's being the highest I ever descended.

The H&S argument for their removal has always baffled me. What's more dangerous....sliding down a pole or running down the stairs? ¬¬

Theres still a fair few poles around in West Mids, most of which are single story and still very much in use. We have a couple of single story stations but they’re in the minority. The tallest i believe is Aston which is 2 floors and a very narrow drop. Alot of the stations in West Mids are huge in regards to where everything is upstairs so the use of a pole is handy. Not many like Paddington but Bloxwich’s does drop down straight into the bay. Theres not much in the way of new builds here. Haden Cross was the last new station built and its all on one floor. But the last “new” build station to have a pole installed was Handsworth as Dudley is all on one level

H&W still have poles as well but not many. However the new Worcester and Evesham stations were built with them installed. There was a phase of taking them out, Bewdley and the old Bromsgrove fire stations had markings where you could see where they are. No long ones here either but Hereford does have a split level one that drops into the appliance bay

Nearlly All of our (Surrey )old two floor stations still have and use them, all the new ones (3) don't  have them.The old Woking fire station was fun with its3 floors..new station is single level?

9 hours ago, Gwentiori said:

The brigade I have just transferred to have banned their poles on “H&S” grounds, 1 FF telling me they came round and cut them out! Apparently the padlock solution wasn’t working..

Sounds like Cheshire this

My first station (Canley in Coventry) had a pole drop.  When the station was revamped a few back, the pole was decommissioned, cut up into small sections and sold to those who had served there over the years.  It was polished up and badged.  I was lucky to have one and it was a nice idea.... whoever came up with it.  A nice memorry of my first posting :)

I had been at my second posting in a lovely old fire station in west London for months. I was enjoying being busy.

When ' Duty man ' I had recorded the usual stuff in the station log book as if on auto pilot. This included the routine phrase "pole house doors, lights and mats checked by LFm Bloggs and correct " .

About 6 months in, my Sub O took me aside. He was an experienced and capable guy who we looked up to. This piece of advice was the most awkward he had given me.

" Take a look mate, where are the pole mates or indeed the pole?".

It was a bloody good question as it turned out the pole had been removed in the 1940s as the steel was required for the war effort.

My watch had let me write these fraudulent log book entries for months - the gits ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
3 hours ago, Noddy said:

My first station (Canley in Coventry) had a pole drop.  When the station was revamped a few back, the pole was decommissioned, cut up into small sections and sold to those who had served there over the years.  It was polished up and badged.  I was lucky to have one and it was a nice idea.... whoever came up with it.  A nice memorry of my first posting :)

Hull Central's pole was cut up and similar thing happened to that this last year, their new station has one as does the other station in the North of the city.  The last 2 other stations built back in 1999/2000 have one straight into the appliance bay from the upstairs on the side (bays at the side of the building as such).

Falmouth and our newest station, Tolvaddon, both have single storey drops. Penzance recently had theirs re-installed. Bodmin used to have one, I remember seeing it on a school visit in the '70's, but it's long gone.

3 hours ago, MarkG said:

Penzance recently had theirs re-installed

Interesting! Maybe a route I can suggest to the brigade in the future, turnout times and all that..

I am glad to see brigades around the country still using them, and including them in new builds. Have to say I was a little disappointed when informed my brigade had banned them over “H&S” reasons; seems to me if brigades are installing them in new builds, then someone would have had to look at the “H&S” implications of their use and approve it?...

As previously stated, long may they continue! 

On the H&S thing I've heard of very few accidents involving them over the years, normally the stairs that are listed as cause!

Been on a 60's station today with 2 drops, although next to each other, one from the mess and one the dorms, only a ground and first floor building.

• Like 1

Not many here. A lot of our day crew stations are sixties vintage but were built only with stairs. Only been to two that still have two storey drops or poles at all. I like to make sure I use it if i find myself on standby there. Got to make your own excitement you know.

• Like 1

Few stations here have them, but the new ones built have been ground floor only. Swindon has a two stage drop, one for each floor on separate drops.

We included a fire pole in our new station that opened in 2016.  Although it is functional, it was never envisioned as a primary means of hitting the apparatus floor.  There were no H+S issues (sog drafted) other than ensure no one can accidently fall through. 

For us, it was another way to build some tradition into the new fire station, a focus for some esprit de corps, and add character.  Like most fire stations, its at the top of the most asked question list during public tours...

There have been instances where people have fallen through the drop and been seriously and even fatally injured. As tragic as these events are I still can’t see sense in a group of people running down several flights of stairs as an alternative.

• 9 months later...

I remember the pole at the old Bournemouth fire station when my dad was stationed there, I’m sure I was told it was the tallest in the country and went right to the top of the building. I remember looking down at every floor when I was a child and higher we went the more my palms sweated! I had a go on it from first floor but that was my limit at that age despite my dad and his mates egging me on to go higher 😂 wouldn’t be able to do that these days! 

• 3 weeks later...

Did a shift at a coventry station just before Christmas, 3 storey split level pole, looked tasty but certainly wasnt when i had to negotiate it at 1am