Pole Drops

Avon has a few stations with poles. My station is a three-floor drop from the dorms. People only use it when there is a queue for the loos and it's quicker to get down to the toilets downstairs. 

• 6 months later...

All stations in London I’ve been to thus far, allbeit that’s not many, have had poles. I’m the only one who uses the one at my station however, only because it’s outside my door on nights. 

When we designed Newarks new fire station in Nottinghamshire H&S reasons were quoted to not have a pole drop, the original pole from the old fire station  and bell is now on show with other memoribilia, sadly the sign of the times now in some new builds.

• 8 months later...

There is a rumour that our pole drop at 10 Kingswood in Avon is the longest in the UK. Drops 3 floors and had to have an extra bit welded to the top to make it long enough. 

• 4 weeks later...

@JonesMrJones I thought Shoreditch’s was long going down the height of a bay (about 2 floors). Going down it for my first time was an experience, but being a very busy ladder and the only real way to get to the truck in time is the pole, I soon got used to it🤣

What amazed me was a fella on the watch filling up two large water bottles (think the half gallon ones) and then going down hands free with a water bottle in each hand! I’ll stick to the stairs, thanks.

It was 3 floor drop at the original Birkenhead Central station and for a shout there was no waiting until the pole was clear before you went down.

There were 2 really scary things about it; someone coming on at first floor level without looking up and the other was the shout of " wet pole" from someone further down the drop.

At night it could be 24 people down one pole for a shout, it was a 3 pump, 3 specials station.  Just 1 pump in the town now.

• Like 1

The pole from my mates old station in their new one, complete with original landing mat

AC31AE51-2B85-4D29-8230-F8C9B864DD94.jpeg.05733321390ef361f77bb81c3b1c2c5c.jpeg 

Aston fire station did have a long drop, since the new station was built next door the upstairs of the old one have all been blocked off

On 07/05/2020 at 23:31, JonesMrJones said:

There is a rumour that our pole drop at 10 Kingswood in Avon is the longest in the UK. Drops 3 floors and had to have an extra bit welded to the top to make it long enough. 

Kingswoods only drops two doesn't it? From the second floor with the dorms, through the first floor where the kitchen is, then down to the engine house? 

On 29/08/2019 at 21:30, Lumie said:

All stations in London I’ve been to thus far, allbeit that’s not many, have had poles. I’m the only one who uses the one at my station however, only because it’s outside my door on nights. 

West Hampstead doesn’t have a pole. I was devastated when I landed there out of training school.

On 07/05/2020 at 23:31, JonesMrJones said:

My station (Paddington) and Hendon in LFB both have 3-floor drops.

• 2 months later...
On 04/06/2020 at 23:01, CaptainFlack said:

Every brigade has a station that says they have the longest pole drop in the country !!

Is this going to be the new “whose busiest” or “dutch rolled hose?” debate?

• Haha 1

Hope so. I just keep reviving old threads to increase the forum posts, seems to be working. Just need more people to participate now rather than just looking. 

4 minutes ago, Luminoki said:

Is this going to be the new “whose busiest” or “dutch rolled hose?” debate?

I think more brigades need to be open to the Dutch roll technique 😃

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I remember visiting Paddington Station back in the late 90s and one thing that struck me was the pole drop there went straight from the floor above into open space in the engine house. All the pole drops I have used have been encased in a tunnel of some kind, at least on three sides. I obviously had a go which was very strange never having previously used this type. 

• Like 1

Heston's was the worst pole I ever used. 

It had 5 appliances squeezed into their appliance room and space was tight, very tight!.  If some arse left the foam tender door open, there was very limited room to drop into.

If you got it wrong, you risked straddling the foam tenders OIC door😳, or alternatively, you would hit your back on a wall mounted radiator 

I got rather adept at changing my position mid journey and was an expert at the 'precision pole drop'. Its a shame its no longer an Olympic event 😏

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, Carl said:

I remember visiting Paddington Station back in the late 90s

Ive actually found the picture I took. It was 2002 when I first visited @Steve in London and he took us to Paddington amongst other places.

We also went to see the TL which @Dot had a lot to do with at the time. 

London 2002 43.JPG

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Messyshaw said:

If some arse left the foam tender door open, there was very limited room to drop into.

Westminster had a problem like this whenever there was a truck in the second bay (I wasn’t there when it was 2 appliance).

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Im now based at a new PFI station in LFB. Its split level so not a huge drop but Im sure its the fastest drop ever. Makes me wonder whether they polished it too much or something. 🤣. If I have to use it, i have both legs and arms wrapped as tight as possible and I still fly down it. My increasing weight might also be a factor. 

• Haha 2