Busiest / Quietest

Luminoki

9 hours ago, Keith said:

I am reading that right OscarTango, 11 calls in a year?

Not that we ever want to talk about closing stations, but with that few the questions do have to be asked, is it necessary and how do they maintain any sort of competency?

The station has always been quiet. I think in Kent’s busier years it was still only doing 30 or so a year. It’s remained open due to risks in the area and it being a fair trek for other pumps into the area. How much longer that remains though is the question.

I get more than 11 shouts a year and I retired 8 years ago!!!

I am not joking. Part of my fire safety job  now is to participate in a multi disciplinary Crisis Management Team that is called to lead fires, floods, power issues and IT failures across our estate. In fact we sit for anything that effects or may effect the business We stand that team up more than 11 times a year

The speed of reaction, the decision making and genera buzz gets the adrenalin pumping like the old days ?

Poor old Grain. How do you maintain motivation in a team so quiet??

• Haha 1

I have no idea. Sad thing is there are plenty of on-call stations here with figures only in the double figures, despite Kent being somewhat less quiet and rural than some other counties. So many people left with the change from the old retained system to the fixed hours on-call system we have now they never recovered and are scarcely on the run. Aside from the wholetime, Kent runs on a few select on-call stations during the day. Things are improving as the system beds in and more recruits come through the door.

• 2 months later...

Until our Blue Watch CM actually showed us this, I genuinely thought it was a wind-up that we were 4th in the list; our sprogs were proudly (smugly) sending it around to everybody else in their squads.

On 17/03/2018 at 19:57, Steve said:

Here is top of the list for LFB and bottom of the list.... No surprises, the Mighty 'Ho at the top and Biggin Hill at the bottom.

London Stats.png

I spent 18 months recently at one of the ones near the bottom of that list. (What was I thinking?!)

It was a painful, chastening experience.

• Like 1

Is that both engines and trucks that do EMS? I was going to say because those numbers are ridiculous compared to most UK fire stations. Your quietest engine would be one of our busiest ?

15 hours ago, Gatts2 said:

Yes. That includes medic runs.

Roughly I’d estimate EMS accounts for around 60/70% of those totals. 

Get used boys and girls the boomerang is coming back.

On 17/03/2018 at 12:53, Jamiejet said:

In the case of my post regarding GMFRS station calls, no. Only calls on those respective grounds not taking into account what appliances attended. The bit I posted about individual appliances takes into account all calls by that appliance over all station grounds. For me it’s a more accurate depiction of where truly is the busiest from a firefighters perspective actually riding the pumps.

Hey Jamie, hope you're well. How did you get those figures showing per pump activity? I can only seem to get them for station grounds on the IRS?

Hi Eddie. If you just select whatever date range you want and then select all on all the drop down menus (including all stations), you then simply type in the appliance callsign in the appropriate box and that will give you all mobilisations for that appliance. 

It seems fate has decided I am going out with a bang.... This year is shaping up to be a little like last year.... (more calls to be fair but thankfully less serious and tragic). I have been out a couple of times per week in the past month or so. I think it has a lot to do with new BA procedural changes which are seeing a lot of traditional 4 Pumpers go to 6 which drags me in as a GM and a Fire Safety officer. Warm dry weather also always does for us... nothing to do with grass fires, but people being out and about seem to cause more fires and nonsense.

I was at an 8 in a hospital last Sunday night (Saturday I was duty ILO so unlikely to go out). Thursday I got paged a few times for SM's going on jobs which got me out of bed twice. Yesterday I pixked up a 6pf deep in SE London because three 6 pumpers kicked off within half hour or so, leaving the cupboard a bit bare, I had a 9 pump multi call FSG high rise just after Ronaldo slotted his 3rd last night and a 6pf in a sub, sub basement of a large office complex in Fleet street this morning. I also missed a 6pf in a pallet yard in Dagenham literally by minutes this afternoon. I booked my location change from my base location to my home location just minutes after another GM had picked up the job up.

On that basis, although I have only 5 short weeks or 37 days until I am no longer a Firefighter. At least I should get to go onto a few more jobs before the final curtain comes down.

?

• Like 2