Avon Success

JonesMrJones

I rang HR this morning and found out some gen. 

Basically, there is 4 of us left from the previous selection and that is not enough to run a course. 12 went through to the Oct course and 8 were in reserve. I got first dibs back in Aug but couldn't get out the army in time. Lots of people failed the medical due to conditions that they did not bring up. Crohn's, Asthma, injuries, colitis. One person even had asthma that was brought on by heat! 

They have to run the whole process again to get the numbers up. I won't have to do most of the selection process but they may be adding a swimming section or just a disclaimer saying that you can swim to sign.  

They are having a managerial meeting soon to discuss the whole process. 

So if anyone is interested in trying out for Avon FRS the recruitment process will be starting again soon! 

What a misery Mr Jones! At least after your jaunt in a disaster zone and all that sneaky Egyptian PT (;)) you'll visit the next round of selection even better!

PQA - Demonstrates commitment to personal development - TICK! 

I know it was your home county you were dead set on serving for but there's lots of opportunities coming up in the surrounding areas, Gloucestershire are recruiting right now in fact.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Update-

Hi Tim

My apologies for the delay in responding to you.  Since I last e-mailed you a decision has been taken by our Service Management that previous candidates will need to re-apply and complete all stages of the selection process again.  This is because the process may alter slightly compared to last time and we must ensure all candidates selected for the May training school have been selected on the same equal basis.   I am really sorry that I cannot offer you more positive news but would like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best in the next process.

The details and timescale for the next recruitment process will be posted on our designated website shortly (www.YesYouCan.careers/wholetime). 

Regards

It feels like I have been seen off massively here!

Mate what a complete shower! I really do feel for you, especially with getting out of the forces now however i dont think you’ll have any problem nailing the process once again

It's a massive blow, to be honest. Pretty bummed out about it. 

Let hope the process doesn't change that much and I nail it again. It's just that uncertainty that gets me. Luckily I can sign back on with the Army as I still have a bit of time left before I leave.  

I feel for ya mate, I would of been absolutely gutted. Especially if I had to sign back on for a bit. 

Edited by Carl
Quote removed as not needed. See FAQ

I'm gutted for ya and I'm having a bit of day Ja Vu to be honest, a very similar thing happened to me back in the days they used to put people 'On Hold' I passed everything but was put on hold, after a few months I'd still not heard anything, I called them up and was told I'd need to re-apply. Thankfully, I thought those days had gone, however, this seems to contradict that. Chin up bud, best of luck next time!    

• 1 month later...

I must have missed this. What an absolute sh1tter. To get all that way..... Still you'll be as fresh as they come for the next round. Onwards and upwards bud.

That's not even the word for it! Was seriously gutted when I got the final email. 

I have done some research and spoken to a few people and I just have to brush my self off and get on with it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Was going to start a new thread but thought I would just whack it in here.

Got this email this morning-

Hi Timothy

Thank you for attending the recent interview for our Wholetime Firefighter selection process.  We are delighted to advise that you have been successful and we would like to invite you to attend a medical on Wednesday 4th April or Monday 9th April with our Occupational Health Nurse at their clinic in Aztec West, Bristol. 

Absolutely ecstatic!

Medical on the 9th April and start on the 29th May (all being well)

• Like 3
  • Kudos 2

Well done Jonesy (I can call you that now you are going to be in the job - get used to nicknames:D).

Seriously well done, was hoping to read something like this from you.  Don’t be a stranger on here though, pay it forward and help others.

Enjoy mate;)

• Like 1

I’ve just read this while thread, what a rollercoaster! Very poor on Avon’s side but well done for persisting with the next recruitment and for succeeding. 

I was in a similar situation as I applied for MAWW FS whilst still in the military, luckily I was in the sensible senior service and they let me out in time to start training.

Well done bud! 

• Like 1

I had a feeling we would be congratulating you once again, so here it is :)

Well done, hopefully you'll be posting in the operational sections before you know it ;)

• Like 1