Roll vs Dutch Roll

Do you have any idea why the use of hose carts never took off on this side of the channel? Was it just a case of they were never deemed as being necessary?

Quote deleted as its a quote from the previous post. Please see FAQ

Edited by Carl

They are popular in Paris I think? I guess they are only suitable for inner city stations, as appliances at outer stations have longer travel distances and use greater speeds. Can’t tow a trailer at higher speed ? 

Ah yes, like the French roll where the plane suddenly starts going backwards. 

In all seriousness, dutch roll: fold an under run length in half, female coupling on top about a foot and a bit behind the male. Go to back the other end. Fold the bight over on itself about six inches and roll the whole thing up on that. 

Deploying it you hold the two couplings together and throw it out like bowling ball. Run out with female end and connect not to branch/other length etc. 

Thanks. Back in the days of yore, we were told that it was a lousy way of rolling hose. Opinions seem to have changed.

Quote removed as its a direct quote of the previous post. Please see FAQ.

Edited by Carl
On 05/11/2021 at 21:14, Dyson said:

They are popular in Paris I think? I guess they are only suitable for inner city stations, as appliances at outer stations have longer travel distances and use greater speeds. Can’t tow a trailer at higher speed ? 

AFAIK they are not trailers, the "carts" are lifted off the ground and attached to the appliance for travelling

• Kudos 1
On 05/11/2021 at 21:14, Dyson said:

In France equipment is absolutely standard everywhere, so not a case of 'popular in Paris'. In fact, the government places all contracts for purchase.

So, hose is carried on handcarts, not trailers, absolutely everywhere.

I find it to be ridiculous. At any incident the cart has to be lifted off the appliance - counter balance system -, then 200 metres of hose unrolled before it can be used. And that is even if the fire is 20 metres away. But conversations with French firefighters seems to show that no one thinks about it, having been used to nothing else.

Of course, if the fire is a kilometre from the appliance - as it might be in a forest fire - you don't have to move umpteen reels. However, moving these things cross country, and probably uphill as well is more than muscle building.

The only real advantage is when making up. The hose has to be reeled up, and that automatically empties the remaining water from it, no having to lift it in the air or try and roll it out.

All in all, I prefer the British system of short lengths of hose.

• Kudos 1