Covid Vaccination

Matt

So now that the vaccination is rolling out across the country, I know a number of F&R are involved in helping setup and deliver at these centres some have had the jab as part of this response.

As time goes on it will be open to more and more and currently not sure on the position of F&R for crews in general.

Now everyone is entitled to their own opinion and there is no right or wrong but what is the general consensus, are you having the jab when its available or not, be interesting to see who is and isn't versus those who have had or not had Covid.

That then leads on say you choose not to have the jab I hope no one then turns around and says you've not had it your not coming in here sort of thing, everyone is entitled to choose weather they have it or not and just wondering what the feeling is out there.

Do you have concerns over it or just choosing not to have it.  It's like the flu jab many choose not to have that and you have capacity to make that decision.  Just thought it would be an interesting topic, I know of a few choosing not to have it, some have said why others just simply don't want it end of story.

For those that don’t want it what is your reasons out of interest? Personally, I will have it but I’m in no rush I’m happy to be at the back of the queue.

• Like 1

It has been discussed to see if we can get it as key workers, but that doesn't look likely at the minute, so it will be down to when you're due it for your age bracket. I'll have it.

Had the first shot of the Moderna vaccine January 6th. 2nd shot scheduled February 3rd. Only know of one or two guys in the firehouse that didn’t get it. 

• Like 1

I would also like to know what on earth makes people decide to decline the vaccine 

Of course, none of us know if the vaccine is  completely safe, I doubt any vaccine ever is.

We all work with risk every day and using my understanding of the covid risk,  I believe there is more likelihood of severe harm or death from covid than there would be from vaccine side effects.

So I will take the vaccine when offered and would love to hear the rationale by those of you who hold a contrary view

• Like 4
  • Kudos 1
12 hours ago, Vema11 said:

I believe it should be given to the people who need it and accept a level of risk and let the young people fight it off naturally and build up antibodies that way. 

The issue with that is that all those ‘so called’ young people who can fight it off naturally can still give it to those young people who can’t fight it off naturally, as well as the however many percent of vulnerable people it does not protect; as we know it does not provide 100% protection.

Also, people tend to talk about the extremely low percentage of people that die, without thinking about actual numbers.

UK population is about 68m, your one percent is potentially 680,000 avoidable excess deaths, is that okay with you?

• Like 1
  • Kudos 1
12 hours ago, Vema11 said:

So to people in a certain age group it’s not very deadly at all. 1 in 3 wouldn’t have any symptoms and a death rate lower than 1 percent. 
I believe it should be given to the people who need it and accept a level of risk and let the young people fight it off naturally and build up antibodies that way. 

I agree statistically as a proportion, less younger people die. But I am not sure I would class the sort of figures that @Aspire has mentioned as 'not very deadly'. That is far too much like the public health version of Russian roulette for me. There is also the issue of those who refuse the vaccine (of any age) who then contract cover, blocking bed including  ICU beds for others, including the high risk groups. That doesn't seem fair to our hard pressed NHS heroes.

Younger adults are at risk too

Edited by Carl
Link formatted correctly
  • Kudos 1

Some interesting responses.  I have seen some mutterings that they say the Pfizer one may need more than 2 doses for it to be effective but not sure how true that is.

For those that have had it in particular the Pfizer one how have you felt after it?

So we've been offered it at work through local secondary care setting, we have actually setup multiple centres ourselves and have one ready and waiting but the other organisation got theirs batch first and the offerings were opened up to us and other NHS organisations in the area.  Were due to setup another public centre this next week in the city for more capacity.

There are a few of us currently sat on the fence watching what is going on, none of us expected to be offered it as early as we have other than our at risk staff.  Many have had it this last day or so but for me its a no at the moment, I'm watching and waiting to see how it goes and the reactions, I think its perhaps been released a bit too early (I know its all tested etc.  I might change my mind but I feel safe without at this moment in time.

I will have it when they offer it me, I am in a low risk category but I don't fancy giving it to my kids or wife or anyone else if I can help it. My neighbour had Covid and it absolutely floored her, she is also low risk but was off work for a month, ended up with Pneumonia and said it was the worst illness she had ever had. 

I will be getting it when offered.  The risk of serious complications or death from Covid, even if it were a fraction of the 1% quoted above, far outweighs the risk from having the jab.  Given that, and the fact that me having the jab also helps protect those close to me and the vulnerable in society who I may unknowingly come into contact, I see no reason to refuse the jab.

1 hour ago, Messyshaw said:

@Keith Boris has since contradicted her 😮, so goodness knows what will happen????????

Boris often contradicts people, just hours before he u-turns and does exactly what they suggested.  Seems to be a personality trait of his. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

For those that have had it in particular the Pfizer one how have you felt after it?

My old man had it and said he didn't even notice any side effects

Only 62 but got it as he now does patient transport since retiring from the job

I took an 89 year old relative for a jab yesterday in a new centre . It was very efficient and impressive 

It was a rare time for me as I was the youngest  person (member of public) in the a room by about 20years. But two members of staff shattered that illusion of youthfulness  when they thought I was there for a vaccine 😳

My rather deaf relative made me chuckle when she thought she had been injected with a drug from Tizer rather than Pfizer 😊🤔

• Haha 2

If I remember the 1980s advert correctly “You can tell it’s Pfizer when your eyes are shut”.  Probably slightly more appropriate than the other Tizer advert tag line *Freeze your head” given the minus 70 storage temperature of the Pfizer vaccine.

I genuinely don't know if i have had it or not ;)😁😁

I was part of a phase 3 trial for one of the vaccines, so maybe its Aye, maybe its Nay. When I'm offered a vaccine, i have to contact the trail to get it unblinded and they tell me if i have. If the trial ends before that point, they will again tell me and if i haven't, then i'll be offered it.

The only difference is that if i get symptoms I've to take 3 tests back to back(to screen the false negatives) and go in for bloods to confrim if i do have it or not.

• Like 1
  • Kudos 1