Covid Vaccination

Matt

I had mine yesterday (Pfizer) and had to ask if it had been done - didn't feel anything. A dead arm today and that's all I've experienced. Super quick and easy and it really is amazing to see the logistics of this. Views, government etc aside, it's amazing to see how efficient and well this has been set up at the front line (from what I've seen, anyway).

• Like 2

Any people who make the decision not to have it for anything other than a genuine medical or religious reason, I would argue, lack the mental capacity to make that decision in the first place! 😆

• Haha 1

@Matt I got a bit of a dead arm the following day. I felt a bit weird the morning after as well, but in fairness I did drink a bottle of wine the previous night so I'll chalk that down to a hangover, not the vaccine. I had the AZ one.

Retained stations who co-respond here are getting offered the vaccine as SecAmb are doing almost all their associate staff as well as ambulance crews. My on-call station does and I've been offered it which I'm very grateful for.

Thinking about it though, I've had more face to face patient contact on my wholetime job recently than I have on-call. I'm hoping that when things are bedded in better all bluelight services will move up the priority list.

Almost everyone Ive spoken to who have had it have said there is quite a strong immune reponse to the Pfizer vacc and that they felt mild flu symptoms for 24 hours or so. Nothing unmanageable but definitely a recurring theme.

I'll get it when I can. I know too many young healthy people who have been really ill with it. A couple of guys I know were even hospitalised and they were my age with no underlying conditions. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/01/2021 at 14:46, Rory-495 said:

I'll be having it. If they offered me it at 4am I'd go have it!

As a child I suffered measles (spots in the eyes as well), German measles, chicken pox, whooping cough, mumps (both sides) over two years. And all with no vaccines or herd immunity or anything else. If given the choice I would have stuck the needles in myself. My wife and I will be waiting on the doorstep when it's offered to us.

I heard of a great system for disposing of unused vaccines. 

A centre in London established they would have around 100 doses left at the end of play that day. The drug could not be kept overnight. Such a waste to bin it.

So they contacted the local police station and had a very rapid response from willing volunteers. Go knows what locals must have thought to see up to 10 Met Transit minibuses parked outside the centre - it must have looked like a riot had broken out.

🤣

@Keith just like Messy and Becile said, i ( and others from my RDS unit ) would get a text from our WC asking if we could be at a vaccine centre in the next town within half an hour for excess vaccines. Worked out well and the majority of our unit have had the first dose

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Keith said:

RedAlix and  Luminoki did you get your vaccine because you’re firefighters or because you were in one of the priority groups?

Got mine as the same thing happened locally as messy described.

The day I went I was told out of 1000 doses only around 300 had been booked so they offered it out to fire service and police.