Merseyside Success 2020

AdamFire

This is such a great story, huge congratulations on your success you must be feeling extremely proud !! :) 

I’m looking to apply for Greater Manchester FS when they open applications for the taster day later this year. From what I have read it is an extremely difficult recruitment process, so I wondered if there was anything you would advise doing to aid my application? 

(I have downloaded all the how2become guides and began training for the multi stage fitness test. I planned to revise for each each stage e.g the maths tests, once I had been successful in the previous stage - but I’m unsure on this approach after reading posts on the forum) 

Look forward to hearing your thoughts! 

• Like 1

@Twissy90, your story is nothing short of amazing! Your ability to keep going despite any adversity shows you are lion hearted and is an inspiration to me. I'm sure you have all the qualities to be a phenomenal firefighter and I hope you enjoy your new career. 

• Like 1

Very well done, you have came along way and your determination has paid off in the end.

Your ability to get the practice in for the swimming tests during these times has also paid off and shows you are willing to overcome any obstacle thrown at you.

I’m sure your mam will be extremely proud of you for achieving your dream!

I also start in september so we are in this together, it’s the best feeling ever relieving that offer!

Again a massive congratulations to you and i wish you the best for your training course and career.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LibbyNolan said:

This is such a great story, huge congratulations on your success you must be feeling extremely proud !! :) 

I’m looking to apply for Greater Manchester FS when they open applications for the taster day later this year. From what I have read it is an extremely difficult recruitment process, so I wondered if there was anything you would advise doing to aid my application? 

(I have downloaded all the how2become guides and began training for the multi stage fitness test. I planned to revise for each each stage e.g the maths tests, once I had been successful in the previous stage - but I’m unsure on this approach after reading posts on the forum) 

Look forward to hearing your thoughts! 

Thank you very much!

First of all, with GM, you have to be very quick in getting a Taster Day. Might be different this time if it's virtual? But last time it was basically first come first serve to book onto a Taster Day and once you had attended this, you had the opportunity to submit an application. 

Yeah I suppose in some ways the application stage is the hardest as that's when they have the most applicants and it's where you have to stand out to make the initial cut. If I remember correctly, the application was based around three questions: solving problems, team work and community. 

From my experience, nearly all applications have a strong focus on your role in the community so I would definitely recommend thinking about that. For example, I volunteer for Lancashire Volunteer Partnership telephone befriending to the most vulnerable in the community and I am a volunteer fire cadet instructor so I always felt I could answer this question well. 

Whatever service you are trying to get into, research their IRMP as this will help. 

I started revising for the maths test early as I knew I needed to. The tests themselves are functional skills and the pass rate is level 1. So I would say when you revise depends on where you are know with your ability really. I personally see no harm in starting early though. 

There is no harm in planning ahead in my opinion, as long as you are confident you are not over-looking the stage you are working towards. I have been that person who overlooked a stage and it's frustrating looking back. 

I would also recommend keeping on top of your fitness throughout as you will have the bleep test and also there will be some other type of fitness test in a medical. 

If you need any advice going forward, please feel free to message me and I will do my best to help.

Good luck!

First of all, a massive congratulations, well done and well deserved. I hope. a lot of people can take note of your achievement and of course the set backs you have encountered.

To lose both parents in such a short time and not to give up is commendable, so hats off to you. Your parents will be proud of you. 

I hope unlike others you stick around on the forum and pass on some of that learning you encountered along the way. The forum doesn't end here, we need people like you on here to provide that inspiration to others who are trying. 

• Like 1

A massive well done, I take my hat off to you. No one can ever say you dont deserve it or haven't worked hard enough to get were you are now.

With such a resilient mentality, I am sure you will be successful in the job. I know its been hard and tough with your parents. You are a credit mate. The hard work continues now.

I would personally take a week away from it all and go and enjoy yourself, if you have the time. Then smash your fitness and concentrate on any pre read study they give you. Work hard on the course, be keen, be open minded and look out for others and you'll be fine. 

Condolences with what you have been through but also a massive Congratulations on your success, one of the best things I've read for a while.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Means a lot!

I have enjoyed reading other success stories on here and taken inspiration from them so it’s nice to finally have my own.

This forum has helped so much and I hope I can begin to help others the way that I have been helped.

• Like 1

Wow this story is really inspiring 

I’m halfway through my application at the moment but this was one hell of a inspirational read. Amazing 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

All this information is really helpful and I have successfully gained a place on the taster day this weekend which is a good start. I will definitely start brushing up on my Maths following your advice and will get in touch if I need any more tips moving forward! 

Good luck in the next stages of your training & thanks again for your help :) !!! 

Guys, can we resist the urge to start discussing aspects of the recruitment process in this section as detailed here.

This section is dedicated to the individuals who have worked hard to be congratulated on their success and as such replies should be kept to congratulating them on such. 

There are lots of other sections allowing an member to start a topic on all aspects of recruitment. 

• 2 months later...

@Twissy90Wow !
You’ve just give me hope I’m sitting searching this forum and I’ve found your story . Well done I’ve just had what I can only describe as the most savage interview trying to accept that chances are I’ve failed and thinking what to do and you’ve just Reminded me that it will all be worth it ! 
you are an inspiration 👍👍

• Like 1