LFB FF Transfers

Indeed there are 25 courses booked for 2020 which will keep us at or just above establishment.

On the note of the transfer course I'll ask about if anything else planned/dates

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys, I have split this from the initial topic as its unfair to the original poster when the topic detracts away from what was being asked. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rory-495 said:

On the note of the transfer course I'll ask about if anything else planned/dates

That’s really good of you mate thanks. Keep us posted if you can 👍

Currently just SubO and LFF transfer courses. I will keep my ear to the ground about any FF transfer but I wouldn't hold your breath

Last I heard someone wanted to cancel recruitment as we had "hit full manning". Obviously they forgot that people retire and leave every week so you have to bring people in to maintain that level!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

We had a transfer course for SubOs 2 weeks ago at Harrow but haven't seen/heard about FF transfers. As previously said they're not struggling for firefighters but are struggling for officers 

• Like 1

I'm just waiting on my uniform fitting day, so do you think my training course will still go ahead in time before any cuts actually get put through?

There's been no talk of cancelling recruit courses so far. We still need recruits to maintain the workforce figures 

• Like 1

Put it this way... they were running 14 person courses every 2 weeks to get back to establishment. They've dropped it to 12 person courses every 2 weeks to maintain establishment. There's no current talks about ending a very lucrative 25 year contact with Babcock any time soon so I wouldn't worry 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A guy at LFB I know, did say courses haven't stopped as you said to keep establishment going, so I'm hoping anyways lol. Not even just for me he said they need lots of people lol

On 04/07/2020 at 11:37, Rory-495 said:

they're not struggling for firefighters but are struggling for officers 

Does anyone know why? What the hell has gone wrong in the LFB?

Promotion vacancies were always highly sought after, with vacancies outstripped by applicants many times over. So I am amazed they now are having to import Dos from other F&RS to keep the establishment topped up

It’s not just LFB lots of brigades are struggling to fill officer vacancies from within their own ranks. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Noddy said:

There’s more OT available 

Seriously? The amount of OT for FFs is making promotion less attractive?

That is seriously messed up 

I would say overtime is a factor. Overall though many a FF has said to me for the hassle & responsibility it’s not worth the extra money. 

• Like 1

OK, I left the job 11 years ago, and to the best of my knowledge,  there were no shortages then.

So has the hassle and responsibility become that more burdensome in a decade?

OK, I worked thru lunch breaks and late into the evening on paperwork - including excessive record keeping and beaurocracy- but managing a watch and making operation decisions on the fireground was one of the most rewarding challenges I experienced in 32 years. 

I am saddened things appear to have changed so quickly 😕

I’d say officers in LFB get more PAO than FFs generally, especially those with CU.

Had a meeting with our DO the other day about the cuts, his summary was nothing is off the cards and it’s looking like a reduction in ADO and GC numbers.

Recruitment at the moment is being slowed but not stopped apparently, they’re still making up for natural wastage 

• Like 2

Sorry - PAO - Prearranged Overtime

- CU - Command Unit 

- ADO - Assistant Divisional Officer (Station Manager) 

- GC - Group Commander 

• Like 2