Union News - Pensions

Just had the union text!!! Result!! What a nightmare for our pensions dept to sort but I don’t care! I’m back on course for the plans I made when I got shafted.

merry Xmas 😁😁😁

• Like 2

Don't know if I'm missing something in what I've read, but is this just for those who were transferred? I'm assuming that new entrants to the 2015 scheme with no previous pension will stay as they are?

Anyhow that's some blinding news for many 👍

The knock on effect could mean that many throw their ticket in now, meaning recruitment will have to be ramped up yet again also.

Im sure lots of members still waiting to join will be happy too. :)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, OscarTango said:

Don't know if I'm missing something in what I've read, but is this just for those who were transferred? I'm assuming that new entrants to the 2015 scheme with no previous pension will stay as they are?

Anyhow that's some blinding news for many 👍

It’s only for former ‘92 scheme members that were transferred over to 2015 scheme. Those that joined on 2006/15 will not be affected. 

Great news all around. I know of many, many firefighters that had their futures turned upside down by this debacle and I’m glad there is finally justice and all that fight wasn’t for nothing!

• Like 1

This is great news. Being born in '68, I did not get full protection, but my time served at the start of the 2015 arrangements meant I was one of the very last to be able to get out at 50 (with 30+ years service) on the full '92 pension. I left so many behind, who were just behind me in age and service who stood to lose many thousands or else have to work to 60. Its only fair people get what they signed up for and I don't feel so bad now for all of those younger than me who joined on the '92 scheme.

• Like 3

Bloody union. What do they ever do for us?.....

How many times did I hear that? So in addition to this really great achievement, it shows the value of having union representation.

I haven't got a union where I work, and it shows as we have some dubious  terms of employment that would never happen in the fire service, thanks to the FBU.

Is it perfect? God no. But look after it as there's most definitely strength in unity 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It doesn’t affect me but I’m so stoked for the people it did affect.

I agree with Messy, sometimes the FBU get a lot of stick (not always justified) but on this occasion they came good.

Now onto the next battle, pay rise anyone?🙁

• Like 2

Same here Carefree, the two old sweats on my watch were doing backflips last night such was their excitement. We had the “fired up” campaign in west mids this year ( which was tough, although it did spur alot of people into rejoining the union ) and with the sucess of that and now the pensions debate methinks that the union wont be getting such bad press around the mess table

• Like 1
  • Kudos 1

Really glad for those who benefit fully from this.  It should affect me to a smaller degree I think.  It’s all a bit unclear but fingers crossed the Govt doesn’t find a way to shaft me. I dropped onto 2015 scheme this year having been subject to transitional protection in the RDS Modified Section of the 2006 scheme.  Hopefully I will be able to return to the modified scheme and look to retire at 55 again.

• Like 1

Ive just gone onto the 2015 scheme this month after my tapering finished. 

Without putting too much of a damper on it, Im keen to see the detail and what will happen now. Putting me straight back on the 92 scheme would be perfect, but will it be that simple. 

In terms of my retirement date, it makes no difference but does effect the amount I will get.

• Like 1

I can’t see us being put back on the 92 scheme, rather keep us on the 2015 scheme but amend our benefits so they mirror what we had.  It’s the protection or lack of that was argued as the 2015 scheme is perfectly lawful.  To be honest they can call it what they like as Long I can return to having the option of going on a full pension when I reach 50, having done my 30 years. 

For me the ruling is massive.  If we had lost I’d still be facing 10 extra years service to get my full wack.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am not partying yet.  Having been here (victory at the highest court in the land and sent back to the tribunal for remedy) with RDS claims for pension, I am all too aware that we could still be years from a complete resolution and we still may not end up with exactly what we want.  Still bloody good news though!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Absolutely brilliant news. Congrats to the FBU and all 👏

But......You wait! Boris is going to have to find £4 billion to pay all the other pubic workers who were similarly shafted and he will want retribution.

The Miners p*ssed Maggie off and she came back to get her own back by closing them down, and Boris will be back - perhaps with a no strike law for the fire service 

The UK F&RS are a little on the ropes at the moment. The Manchester Arena attack, Grenfell, The failing Moore Back Inquiry, Dany Cottons early departure and this week's LFB Inspectors report - they may mainly be London, but they made the headlines across the UK and may well soften up the public and allow the Govt in to take away the right to strike 

So celebrate and enjoy the win, but keep an eye behind you, as a tsunami of grief might be on the horizon 

• Like 1