Union News - Pensions

On 21/12/2018 at 05:52, Messyshaw said:

Bloody union. What do they ever do for us?.....

How many times did I hear that? So in addition to this really great achievement, it shows the value of having union representation.

I haven't got a union where I work, and it shows as we have some dubious  terms of employment that would never happen in the fire service, thanks to the FBU.

Is it perfect? God no. But look after it as there's most definitely strength in unity 

My situation is almost exactly the same as Steve. I'm so pleased with this result!

My thoughts were drawn to a snaky little rat I used to work with. He came out of the union "I'll save myself a few quid." He also came out of the pension and sneared at us.

Karma.

Join a union. 

• Kudos 2

And to go back onto the 92 scheme is the news I wasn’t expecting!!!! What a result!!! 

I must say however that I doubt I’ll be retiring on it in 8 years.  When the next scheme comes out I think everyone en mass will be moved onto it, thus avoiding any discrimination.  Still, I’m far better off than I was 18 months ago 👍

• Like 1

It is great news, undoubtedly. Just from reading through the release though, were we all given the opportunity to register if it affected us? I am fairly sure I did, but for the life of me I can't remember. If I didn't, what should I do? 29 years and 2 months in, age 49, been on the new pension a couple of years now...

Thanks,

Dot

I have the same issue @Dot. I remember registering as one of the many 1000s that did but how do I prove it. At the end of the day, everyone who is affected should be put back, and dare I say it, those who didn't stand with us will benefit too. 

Edit: Ive just found the email I received from the FBU back in May 2015 confirming my registration.

• Thanks 1

For the majority of us, it will probably be a case of wait and see until the details get sorted out, which will probably not be before July 2020. The interim declaration covers those who are due to retire soon. If you are in any doubt, probably worth a call to your local FBU officials.

• Thanks 1

This ruling effects 1000s of people, for example, DFRMO, MDP, HMP , HMAF and many others, hopefully it means i return to the pension T&Cs i had when i started.

The real danger is that HMG admitts it treated some unfairly and then sets about shafting everyone the same(offer does not apply to HofC / HofLs.

On 22/12/2019 at 14:40, Dot said:

Just from reading through the release though, were we all given the opportunity to register if it affected us? I am fairly sure I did, but for the life of me I can't remember. If I didn't, what should I do? 

@Dot you have probably seen this elsewhere but there will be another opportunity to register soon.  The advice coming out is, if you are not sure whether you registered last time then register.  The system will not worry if you are already registered.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard how they are going to fix the pension. I have heard many a different fix and we won't know until Summer, but hoping someone may have a hint of what's going to happen to put it right now we've won?

• 1 month later...

The FBU is looking at potential claims relating to reimbursement of any out-of-pocket losses members may have suffered as a result of the changes to pensions made in 2015.

More detail and links to register: FBU Pension Claims

• 2 months later...

Do we have any financial gurus on here that can work out pensions. I get lost in it all and the new revelations don't look good for me, to the point I reckon I will retire in 16 months. Anyone want a web site 🤣

• Like 2

I think we can see where this will go in the long run, the means testing of state pension, paid into 2 pensions all your working life, tough.