Why Aren't Microphones Put Into BA Masks?

So this is a random thing that just hit me sitting at the mess table. In todays world of technology, and firefighters are still having to shout and repeat themselves over and over into the radio to BAECO about the first floor stairs caving in... Wouldn't it make sense to come up with a way of putting the microphone in the actual BA mask, your BA team all having an ear piece in their helmets and a press to talk button somewhere so the radio isnt just everyones breath on air?

Or has this already been invented, we just don't have the budgets to implement it? Or is it just more of a luxury that the money could be better spent on?

Draeger microphones work pretty well, just need to give them a second or two to connect up before speaking in my experience.  Press to talk, one, two, “Entry Control from xyz” is the way I tend to work it.  The team talk blue tooth connections also work well for talking to your partner only without the need for press to talk. Any failures have usually been user error such as earpiece being caught up and not close to the wearer’s ear.

@Carefree not even a firefighter yet, just doing drills with my dad and already trying to talk to my BA buddy is the worst thing ever ? its like the stereotypical scenario of talking an elderly lady who doesnt have her hearing aid in...

"theres a set of stairs"
"theres a what?"
"a set of stairs"

"a set of what"
"THERES A SET OF STAIRS!"
"AIRS?"
"S T A I R S"

Current Drager PSS7000  have integrated mics, there's a small button on the left side of the mask you can press to talk instead (or as well as) mashing the button on the handset itself. Theres also a voice enhancer. Personally I think they work great.

Not all PSS 7000s have it. I have one with and one without in both jobs and the being ECO in the latter you may as well be listening to paper crinkling.

They’re great but despite having 4 or 5 sets on the pump only one of them has a mic. Duno how it is elsewhere though.

Interspiro are good as they all have inbuilt comms so both team members can talk to BAECO, and a team talk setting that allows you to talk to your partner. A bit of a downside to this though I find is it can create the illusion that you’re right next to your partner when you’re in fact getting further away from each other. But that being said I’d rather be able to have a coherent conversation with my BA partner and figure the rest out as you go.

BA comms have been 5hit since I joined the job, it's an utter disgrace that this remains so. I'm trying to work out if it's due to us not willing to spend any money on comms or if the market isn't that interested.

Post Grenfel I guess this will change. Maybe we can advance from cup and string comms?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Firestorm said:

Post Grenfel I guess this will change. Maybe we can advance from cup and string comms?

This is what we all said after Kings Cross when poor comms got a slating in the Fennell Report, almost 30 years before Grenfell!! So don't put any money on it improving any time soon :(

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Firestorm said:

I'm trying to work out if it's due to us not willing to spend any money on comms

Speaking to a technician in PEG (Protective Equipment Group) when we got the "latest" comms with bone conducting mic and cheese grater ear piece we could have had integrated Bluetooth comms for only £1 per set more....so i'll leave you to draw your own conclusion ;)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2018 at 13:55, Firestorm said:

You guys have cups and strings? Show offs.......

We have the Drager PSS7000 with integrated comms up here, great for talking to BAECO & other BA Team Leaders (only folk who wear comms sets) but wearer to wearer is still the old fashioned ‘Grab face mask and hope for the best’ routine.

On 21/07/2018 at 21:15, OscarTango said:

Current Drager PSS7000  have integrated mics, there's a small button on the left side of the mask you can press to talk instead (or as well as) mashing the button on the handset itself. Theres also a voice enhancer. Personally I think they work great.

I definitely appreciate the integrated mics for comms. Don't know about you but I've found some masks have much more clear voice enhancers than others, despite them both being the same model and both having full battery charge!

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I appreciate there is concern regarding BA to ECO radio communication challenges - this is being addressed at a "manufacture to manufacture level" of BA mask integration with radio communications. The whole Incident Ground is in focus. Developed with East Sussex FRS.

Special attention to:

1. BA wearers (mask connected to a Remote Speaker Microphone with a large button for "Press To Talk" which is connected to the radio - simple, easy to deploy and operate). 
  2. ECO
  3. Officers
  4. Incident Command Units

The solution is optimised specifically for Incident Ground operations and will operate in Digital Mobile Radio operation mode, to enhance range and improve speech but it will also operate in analogue mode too.