Wildfire PPE

I was hoping someone would bring this topic up sooner following recent events, however, I shall kick it off. 

GMFRS is currently experiencing several severe moorland fires and whilst we have spent considerable time on the moors in recent years, this week or so has been prolonged. We do not have dedicated PPE for fighting moorland fires. As much as we have the fires, they are usually a few hours or stretch over a couple of days at the most.

For those of you who perhaps have more moorland, do you have dedicated PPE and if so what does it consist of and more importantly is it any good. I cant make any further comment, because as I mention above we only have structural fire kit. 

Feel free to discuss.  

I have been pleased to see respirators being worn by many crews at the recent spate of large 'grass' fires. But there seems to be an inconsistent approach to eye protection. For me, that was always my biggest concern as beaters are bound to dislodge significant ash and debris.

Rubbing shite from your eyes with a FF's glove is surely something that should be destined to history, but this photo was taken on Saddleworth Moor recently :(  (Courtesy Getty Images)

Eyes.jpeg

Some of our finest hard at work in Wildland Kit

The full wildland kit consists of

• a one piece wildland coverall, essentially a boiler suit made from pbi gold material but without the insulation and padding in normal fire kit
  • a pair of lace up leather boots which offer better support than normal fire boots,
  • a baseball bump hat 
  • Safety glasses
  • Long sleeve t shirt and fleece

All is kept in a small rucksack which normally lives at the back of the kit room for the majority of the year, but they've been seeing a lot of use recently.;)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Messyshaw said:

I have been pleased to see respirators being worn by many crews at the recent spate of large 'grass' fires.

One thing many people have commented on in a positive way is that in GMFRS we get personal issue respirators and in fact each person is seal tested before issue. They come complete with log books and as Jamies says, we get the personal issue Bolle Safety Glasses.

• Like 1

The red lightweight PPE issued recently to us for use at RTCs and SSCs (never used as they didn't give us boots and no one wants to waste time on a call swapping) has been used at grass fires.  We've also just had the same respirators issued as shown in the GMFRS pic.

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fire said:

We've also just had the same respirators issued as shown in the GMFRS pic.

The picture above shows the paper version. The picture below shows both, with the girl in the centre using the correct ones.

Dust Masks.jpg

Unfortunately not, even though we have rather a history for wildfire incidents.

The new ppe contract that most brigades down south have bought into, we have not even taken up the layered option.

I think the fact that we invested heavily in off road firefighting vehicles, unimogs  and firefighting landrovers may have played a part in this decision.

I put in a business case for buff headware when I was involved in the wildfire arena ( they do a few retardant one ) it was rejected!

Edited by Carl
Link formatted as per FAQ

Apologies Carl I must of seen it elsewhere and thought it was above ?. Yes the half face rubber ones are what we've been issued too.  Sods law I commented on this and just got back from 4 hours up a mountain in my retained role...get me back to the city!

I see that the press have been pointing out that the RRofS  lads are in tents, however that is the way the army are,they will be using this like a deployment exercise and checking it all goes to plan be it flooding, fire or taking over the G4S games cock up,what I feel is bad is looking at press coverage their resi's and PPE look NFFP

• Like 1

It was the same when they helped out in flooding in years past.  Firefighters in full drysuits and PFDs next to squaddies with normal goretex and a big stick for prodding. Different attitudes to risk coupled with lack of training/experience I guess.

• Like 1
Just now, Jamiejet said:

The military are more can do than the fire service you have to admit. They know they are not going to drown in 2ft of water.

That's as maybe but does not justify ill health in later life due to poor kit.

13 hours ago, Carl said:

The picture above shows the paper version. The picture below shows both, with the girl in the centre using the correct ones.

Dust Masks.jpg

Err I think you mean the Firefighter in the middle, I forecast I day of E&D and unconscious bias for you if the HR gestapo get you

• Haha 1

I was directly referencing the floods and not the moorland fires. They definitely should get the same respiratory protection as us in those circumstances.

Having been in both roles, I think we could do with meeting in the middle. We can be culturally very risk averse to the point of embarrassment at times (only in my opinion) and the military has a pretty blasé attitude to PPE on occasion. 

Anyway...back on track (sorry)

• Like 1

One of my biggest frustrations is that we still have wildfire crews responding in structural firefighting PPE for extended deployments. I've raised this on many an occasion to no avail but we have just procured lighter weight tech rescue jackets and until this week I feel that is all we would have received. I hope following this profile of Incident we will now be in a position to provide adequate PPE for our designated teams to support their welfare.