Multitools

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you carry some kind of Multitool and whether or not it's actually aloud in the fire services?

I have a Leatherman Skeletool and Wave and would like to keep one on me as a just in case whilst on call.

Thanks James

I’ve got a Gerber Diesel... easily half of its most useful attachments have been KIA whilst trying to pry open dry risers, but that’s because of the tool with the yellow lid (as opposed to the one with the bottle opener).

I’ve seen some proper kit hanging off of people’s belts, but I prefer not to have a zombie knife digging in to my thigh when I’m trying to squeeze through a bathroom window.

• Like 1

Second that. I've got a very basic Leatherman. Pliers come in handy more often than a blade most of the time (especially the ones with the crimpers for trimming smoke alarm rawl plugs)

A colleage also gave me a gerber knife with a glass punch point and a seatbelt cutter. Had always thought they were a bit gimmicky but it's surprisingly sturdy. Vorsprung durch technik and all....

Yes I carry a Gerber when at work and it’s used daily. I also have a nice leatherman but it’s heavier so that lives in my pickup truck. 

Banned? That's ridiculous really. I carry a decent lock knife and a Gerber multitool. Both used as often as anything on the pump. Not to derail the thread but a few door wedges in the pocket are invaluable too.

Oh if this is now about what we keep in our pockets I’m all in ?

But on a serious note I have a Leatherman OHT but do find it quite weighty to carry around on my belt.

I've had various Gerber tools over the years as they replace like for like when the tool breaks, I've used this service a few times. In effect, it's a lifetime replacement service.

In practice, I use it for opening boxes in the office.

Glamorous or what?!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I used to carry one, I've had all sort over the years from various multi-tools in my coat to a football boot bag with a small selection of everything that I used to keep when I was on the trucks... that is still in the boot of my car all these years later. All I have on me now is a Gerber Shard on my keyring.... funny enough, me and the FI were in the compartment of origin at an 8pf in a hospital in N. London very early this morning... and out it came to turn off a couple of isolation valves from burnt through water pipes.... Let it not be said I only use mine to open envelopes and boxes. ?

• Haha 1

interesting to see so many Gerbers over Leatherman.

I either carry a SAK or a Gerber Dime at my primary Work (Office based), but think I will carry my Leatherman Skeletool whilst on call as it has the essential - Decent size blade, pliers and screwdriver.

Next challenge will be working out how I carry my keys. (I think about this stuff far too much!)

On 10/06/2018 at 14:08, Cardiff_Fire said:

Not to derail the thread but a few door wedges in the pocket are invaluable too.

You could always start a topic titled "Tunic Pockets" ;)

• Like 1

After losing a handful , I've reverted back to a decent lock knife in my trouser pockets, another in my tunic, and a pair of Knipex 1kv pliers in my leggings pocket. I've had similar where I've ended up with 3/4s of the blades/tools snapped or bent so I tend to leave the multitools well alone now...

On 11/06/2018 at 12:22, Firestorm said:

I've had various Gerber tools over the years as they replace like for like when the tool breaks, I've used this service a few times. In effect, it's a lifetime replacement service.

Hold up, I never knew about that!

I need to have a look in to this then, as I was fully ready to buy a new one.

On 10/06/2018 at 11:26, Firefant said:

Now the service have banned us using them. 

How have they justified that??

• 5 months later...

I remember reading somewhere that there is an online company that offers discount on leathermans for fire service employees.

Does anyone happen to know the company / code for this ?

Old leather man on my belt, really useful and constantly in use.

carry a cheap locking stout knife in my tunic used and abused lots on the fire ground.

I’d advise against spending too much as losing it will lead to heartbreak, but something reasonable with pliers and lifetime guarantee will see you right. 

• 3 years later...
On 20/12/2018 at 18:10, Harve88 said:

I remember reading somewhere that there is an online company that offers discount on leathermans for fire service employees.

Does anyone happen to know the company / code for this ?

leatherman.co.uk

BLC25 for 25% discount

• Thanks 1