Recruit Diary Blogs

Carl

Ive had a few PMs over the past month or so with members offering to create a recruit diary to document their journey through their respective training course.

I thought I would start the topic off to get some feedback on expectations of both the writers and readers of the blogs?

For those who are unfamiliar with blogs, they basically look similar to a topic, but are under the full control of the writer. Each writer would simply create a blog titled "Week 1" and then document what they have completed over that week. Obvioulsy this generates great interest, especially from those aspiring to do the same, to follow each week and anticipate the weekly write up. 

Please feel free to discuss?

• Like 2

I think it’s a great idea, a massive inspiration to anyone wanting to join.

I have read and re-read the current diarys and the motivation it gives me to drive forward with my applications is amazing.

I know that myself and the vast majority of users on this forum will appreciate them. 

I look forward to reading them and will definitely be writing my own when I am successful.

• Like 1

I can start on mine whenever the section is ready. I'm into week 3 of 12 but could recap quite easily. The experience would definitely help others especially when it comes to fitness and prior learning. 

• Like 1

I did a diary when I joined about 8 years ago. Just found it again. I can email it to you if you like Carl. If you think it’ll be if use to the forum. 

Im curious as to how your recruits course 8 years ago will compare to now. I know a recruits course today will not be the same as mine was over 20 years ago. Feel free to send it and if its still relevant I will look to add it for you ;)

I have now facilitated the ability for members to be added to a secondary member group, which will allow them to create a blog diary of their firefighter recruit course. I am currently testing this with the help of @SteelCity who has already started a blog and created his first blog entry. :)

I am going to spend a few days testing the blogs before allowing full access, which will be added to the benefits of our Subscribing and Lifetime Members.

Anyone wishing to create a blog will have to request the ability through myself, and I will add you to the relevant group. Please do not request this facility if you can't commit to it. We appreciate its a big task, especially whilst going through a course, so perhaps not for everyone.

Lifetime and Subscribing Members will now see a new menu item titled "Blogs" in the top navigation bar which will take you to our new blog sections. In there you will find our first blog by @SteelCity who has published 2 entries already. Be sure to follow him so you will be notified on any new entries. 

Menu.png

Im sure you will agree, that the content that has been posted already is really useful and will provide a fantastic insight into what to expect and what you can strive for. 

Let us know what you think?

• 2 weeks later...

@Carl Lancs have a weekly video following the recruits throughout their courses, I think it's on their website I'll have a look now, also I think it's a great idea

I usually add them to our playlist when they pop up. Have a look on the YouTube icon at the bottom footer of the forum ;)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Im surprised that the recruit blogs have not had more views. Where better to get inspiration, than reading what members are doing, that 1000s on here aspire to do? 

Big thanks to those creating the blogs, and Im sure those who are viewing and liking them are enjoying them as much as we are :).

Maybe a pinned thread with updates on would help? 

I like reading them but often forget to click on the blood tab (or even remember it's there)

• Like 1

We would end up pinning everything if that was the case. ?

You only have to look at the the number of views of the subjects within the FAQ section, to understand why members struggle with certain aspects of the forum. We can only do so much and provide the information, if members choose not to read and use it, then thats their decision. ?

I’ve just been reading through the blogs  there absolutely fantastic thanks to you all it’s a great insight and like Carl says inspiring to say the least  . I look forward to following the rest of your journeys 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a reminder that if anyone else wishes to produce a Blog, simply let me know prior to starting your course and I shall make the blog available to you. 

All we ask is that you can commit to completing it, as not seeing it through would be of no benefit really. We realise the course is heavy, so we wont be pushing you to complete it whilst on your course. Im sure you all agree that the blogs currently being created are of benefit to all ;) 

I have had a few members send messages of thanks for the very forum that has assisted them to realise their potential and become firefighters. Many have asked how they can repay us. All we ask is that you continue to be an active member of the forum and provide the assistance to those who are following behind you and trying to do the same. 

After all, those who are completing the recruit courses now and in the last few years are the future of this very forum going forward. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The blogs are really good and I know people do get a lot from them. Those who create them are held in high esteem by many of those who are desirous to be anywhere near creating a blog. :)