LFB - Some History

Anyone on here served at Wennington fire station between 1996 and 2004?

Also anyone at Bethnal Green between 1997 and 2005 or Leyton between 2005 and 2006 give or take?

On 25/04/2018 at 00:41, Matt said:

Anyone on here served at Wennington fire station between 1996 and 2004?

Also anyone at Bethnal Green between 1997 and 2005 or Leyton between 2005 and 2006 give or take?

Why?

You'd have to have been in another World if you didnt pick up I started at Bethnal Green and have worked in and around that area on an off over the years, its one of mine now as well. And it wasn't a secret I was SC at Wennington as well a decade ago. So naturally your vague request is making me suspicious.

Bethnal Green 2005 then Leyton 2005 is exactly the time when Bethnal Green's Pump moved to Leyton. I have a suspision this is about Fire Engines? If it is, to be fair Matt, most of us serving know that at such a time we had a Volvo or a Dodge or a Merc, but won't know any more or have any info about specific Fire Appliances. From photos alone I can recall some of the machines that I rode or drove.... In fact the Dennis at Poplar and two of the Volvo's. I cant tell you if my life depends on it what exact machines were on the run at Bethnal Green, Plaistow, Bow or anywhere else I was during the first 15 years when I was on a Watch. I'm a bit of a self confessed anorak, so if I cant remember, I doubt anyone else will.

I'd like to think you've been around this forum and thus Ops people long enough to know there is an atlantic size chasm betwen the interests of serving Ff's genrally and Fire Engine enthusiasts.

Oh, I recall one more... the awful Dodge/Locomotor at Shadwell, the one that even though it was only 5 years old, was flat out at 34mph.... I remember it becuase it was that bad. I also remember it because insanely it survived into preservation and apprently drives better now its 32 years old.

Steve, thought you had been SC there but wasn't 100, hence the open topic.  Reason I ask, its currently sat at an industrial works and due to to come to Preservation Support Services in Lincolnshire FR in a few weeks.  Just looking to start the ball rolling with a history board to go with the appliance to display a history and something about it.

Nice to know bits about it and any jobs it may have attended, often get asked by the public when the older appliances are at events about it.  It will become one of the group's 1st away for training and operational use for county standby.

On 27/04/2018 at 08:05, Matt said:

Steve, thought you had been SC there but wasn't 100, hence the open topic.  Reason I ask, its currently sat at an industrial works and due to to come to Preservation Support Services in Lincolnshire FR in a few weeks.  Just looking to start the ball rolling with a history board to go with the appliance to display a history and something about it.

Nice to know bits about it and any jobs it may have attended, often get asked by the public when the older appliances are at events about it.  It will become one of the group's 1st away for training and operational use for county standby.

What one? It appears by the dates you are enquiring about a motor from Wennginton and one from Bethnal Green/Leyton.

I am enjoying this thread as I cannot imagine (m)any firefighters would recall the movements of an appliance over an 8 year period - some 14 years ago.

I often forget my wife' s name and what I ate for breakfast. I think it was eggs (the breakfast, not the wife' s name?)

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Haha 2