ALP Refresher Training

Halligan

Do any brigades our there provide refresher training courses and assessments for their ALP operators every few years, or does your day to day training/jobs suffice to mainitain competence? 

I became an ALP operator in 2009 after a five day training course, and I’m sure the instructors told me at the time I’d have a 2 day refresher course every three years, but 9 years later and it’s never happened. My S/M thinks that our monthly, 1 hour, on station training session is all that’s required, but I’m sure the qualification had to be renewed like you would with efad. 

Whats the rest of the ukfrs doing?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

GMFRS used to run refreshers every 3 years in addition to the MOS. I was a platform instructor for many years and never felt I carried out enough refreshers. The station I left I am suspecting will not have had any refreshers for years as I was one of only a few instructors, and the others have also left, not to be replaced. 

• 3 months later...

We do "Re-accreditation Assessments" every 3 Years for height vehicles in Scotland, although you should be recording all training and operational use in between times.

Trained as an ALP operator 16 years ago and only found out this year that we should have been doing a one day refresher every year since then.