Ultra High Pressure Lance

Carl

Ultra High Pressure Lance Systems  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find UHPL systems effective in fighting fires ?

• Yes
    • No

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue have Cobra Ultra High Pressure Lance (UHPL) systems on all the 1st appliances. However, I don't feel we use them effectively as we should or as often as we should. 

If you have UHPL systems on your appliances, discuss how often you use them and if they are effective at all. 

• Kudos 1

Don't have it on any of our frontline pumps, but have one available as a stand alone unit. From what I've seen of it, it appears to be something more for specific tasks rather than everyday use, which ties in with what you are saying about not using it often or effectively.

Carl, do you not use them because of the cutting element, we are just about to put Rosenbauaers UHPL XL system on a couple of vehicles, it doesn't have cutting facility, but many services are ditching cobra because of ongoing costs v benefit.

to be honest the value of high pressure mist type system is pretty proven as a knockdown. I remember playing with it 6 years ago before it had got "popular" but there are a number of ways to get the mist into a compartment in general use without cutting a hole (unless steel or concrete) in special circumstances I can see this as beneficial, is it also that in many cases the systems are manned by a smaller crew and therefore not overly used due to the ongoing threat of staff reduction, just trying to be a realist!

23 hours ago, Carl said:

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue have Cobra Ultra High Pressure Lance (UHPL) systems on all the 1st appliances. However, I don't feel we use them effectively as we should or as often as we should. 

If you have UHPL systems on your appliances, discuss how often you use them and if they are effective at all. 

Carl, I think you require a few more questions to get valid answers, simple yes no doesn't cover enough in my opinion.

Which is interesting as I am currently tasked with gauging / writing a success criteria for our soon to be delivered UHPS system.

Hampshire have and I am not sure if they are still evaluating this on their newer smaller compact trucks and also FRV which has replaced some appliances.  They did have 3 systems on the go and I know a few Brigades did pop down, London included to have a look.

Not sure on the outcome yet but certainly think its cheaper than Cobra as that needs servicing every x number of hours its used.

Hi Matt. I Have worked with Hants..we are geographically next door and I used to be borough commander adjacent to their new training area at bordon, they have finished their evaluations and they use cobra !

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:28 PM, Becile said:

to be honest the value of high pressure mist type system is pretty proven as a knockdown

Now thats an interesting statement.....

Dyson, you notice I chose my words carefully, the same can be true of most water based systems, if used correctly and in the correct environment..we chose from a variety of tools from the tool box ! in my experience to rely on this as your only medium may not be prudent. And whilst I have used the term "knockdown" this doesn't mean extinguish.

Yes, its interesting....

They are no doubt a useful additional option, to consider, in very specific circumstances.....as you say, its a tool in the box.

Funnily enough, I used mine today. Turned out to a large about of timber which was stacked against a very large ISO container. Container was extremely well secured and we could gain no access via the locks. We also had quite a crowd gather to watch the incident unfold, including a male in a pickup, who said nothing but watched. 

Got our trainee to get the lance off to ensure there was nothing going on in the container. As soon as we got it to work and it was evident the pickup guy owned the container. By the time he had got to me to say dont do that we had got through and water was being applied inside. 

Once he made himself available along with keys we stopped. Quite surprising how quick someone own up when the UHPL comes out. 

Intrigued as to what was inside, 100s of bags of cement. Although fully justified to use it, it certainly cooled everything down.

• Kudos 1
On 01/04/2017 at 7:55 PM, Keith said:

Don't have it on any of our frontline pumps, but have one available as a stand alone unit. From what I've seen of it, it appears to be something more for specific tasks rather than everyday use, which ties in with what you are saying about not using it often or effectively.

I believe there were plans to have this attend certain calls with several of the retained crew in Lisburn station being trained up. Saw it in action at a demo day and heard the pros and cons, but I think it needs to be fully tested at working jobs before rolling it out across the fleet. 

• 2 weeks later...

West Mids had cobra on one appliance but recently removed it for variety of reasons. There are no plans for it to return.

• 6 months later...

Our Lances have been off the run for a while and have just come back on. Apparently there was a fault on them which has now been rectified and I believe this was due to a circuit board within the system. Considering the amount of use they get I am surprised by just how many issues we have had with them. 

For those who use them perhaps more than we do, have you had major issues with them or do you find them reliable as when I have used them, they have worked as they should?

I know Cobra has caught a few Brigades out with the maintenance side of things with it having to be serviced every so many hours (not sure on figure) I know Lincs ended up buying another unit so they swap them out when services are due.  

Some stations use it more than others, grain dryers & combines are a popular one for using it on in recent months.

Matt, I am presuming that when you say "other unit" you simply mean the hand held lance part of the unit. Every pump in GMFRS has a Cobra Lance and its a £50k install and can't easily be removed, so buying a spare unit to swap out is impossible on our pumps. We have plenty of spare "Lances" as in the bit you point, as after all its simply a jet wash Lance but a bit more intricate. 

As for use, I have used it many times but not commonly used on grain dryers or combines, usually buildings going well :)

We have one in LFB that is based on a stand alone vehicle. It has been extensively used in trials with Special Ops group at the FSC, where it has problems intermittent issues. Its been turned out to a few jobs, I had it on a complex15pf the weekend before Grenfell, but it failed to operate properly so it went away with the operator spitting his vehement disgust at its failure. Its on request only with a trained team, I don't see it becoming a main part of the fixtures and fitting until the costs and complxities are ironed out.