Nicknames on Station

Nicknames play a big part in the job, and to be honest there are some brilliant ones knocking about. One of the funniest I have heard this year was by a member of our forum who joined us for a drink. He had a mate who's nickname was "Kettle". After trying to work out why, we were eventually told his real name was "Russell Hobbs". Classic.

Post the best nicknames in your service and let us know why they got the name they did.

In my service you have diamonds on your helmet until you have completed your BA training. One RDS lad who has been in the job a year is yet to complete his BA due to his primary employment. So he has been nicknamed Shirley because "his diamonds are forever"

• Kudos 1

'Tumble' - the guys surname was dwyer

'Purse' - his old man was in the job and he was called handbag

.... and my favourite...

A new lad came along and his introduction was 'hi, i'm Marc... with a 'C'.  He was instantly names Carc :)

• Haha 1
  • Kudos 1

I worked with a lad who's nick name was "blister". When I asked why I was told it was because he came out after all the hard work was done.

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I resemble one of the Inbetweeners and ever since the show first aired I've been 'Briefcase.' I guess there are worse nicknames... xDO.o

Had a lad at a local station who was called 'Tug'.

On his first day in the job at a seaside station, he was sent out by the old hands to the harbour across from the station with a handheld radio and told to J4 & standard test the 'fire boat'. The lads stood and watched in much hilarity when the boys on the boat invited him onboard to carry on with the task rather than sending him packing, despite not being primed as to what was going on. 

He has since finished his 30 years and it stuck with him the whole time.

Here are a couple more.

We have a guy on my watch called "Fingers" which he has had for nearly 30 years now. He was called fingers within the first week of him joining as he originally came from an area which was well known for thieves, so being as they were light fingered, he became "Fingers"

Another guy who was called "Diesel" from his first day, and in fact first 10 mins on station. He walked onto station on his first day and introduced himself. The station officer asked him his name, he replied "Derv". The station officer replied, "derv" as in "diesel" and he replied no, my names "Derv". For anyone who know how someone with a thick Wigan Accent says "Dave", it sounds like "Derv" and he has been called "Diesel" ever since.

Funnily enough hardly anyone would know them by their real names. 

Love this topic!  A chap at my station, says in almost every sentence, "at the end of the day", his nickname is Midnight!

Another firefighter, who loves a moan, comes out with, "What's the point?" His is Spike!

There's hundreds! ?

• Haha 1
  • Kudos 1

GMC had a Station Officer whos nickname was "Rommel". Every fire he went to, he would always say "put a tank on it"

(A few may have to Google that one)  ;)

• Haha 1
  • Kudos 3

Fat Lazy Useless FireFighter   fluff.

Tug, after being found with magazines whilst in his pit the fact that it was the fire brigade preservation society type made no difference.

Barmy and crazy, they were.

On a side note, has anyone had to ditch their nickname due to current events. I did hear of one firefighter nicknamed Jimmy, so you can guess his surname

You've just reminded me of another guy who is now retired who was called Jim. I called into HQ once to see him about something. When I walked into the waiting area for his department, I saw the coat pegs for each of the officers within the said department and each had their name label under each peg. I noticed Jims had the label "Jim Laden". When I asked why they called him "Jim Laden", I was told by the receptionist "no one can ever find him, he always seems to be hiding" xD

On 01/06/2017 at 22:29, TandA said:

Oh superb.  I think I have just found a Fluff, the perfect nickname for my nemesis.

Mark, you could use FLUB in this case.  As the site is censored I will allow you to work out what the 'B' stands for ;)

• 4 months later...

I discovered by chance the nickname I apparently had for years was 'Kennomeat'. On asking why my Leading Fireman said ' Well Bobby, its because your memory is so bad for names that we noticed you call everybody pal or chum ............................. 9_9

Well I've been 'Dot' since day one, when the character in Eastenders surname was Cotton.... tried to shake it off once I got to station but another recruit followed me there on another watch and promptly told my lot. I've grown quite attached to it.... 

One story from me about this... I was on a training course and I knew the Instructor from his days at Paddington. He opened by doing the introductions around the group, and the chap next next to me introduced himself as 'Swampy'. He explained his real name but said no one knew him by that, just Swampy, and he was fine with it. The instructor said that nicknames were no longer appropriate in the modern fire service and that he would have to use his real name. A discussion ensued between the two of them which ended up with Swampy giving in (because we all wanted to go at 4pm lol). So I'm next, and the instructor turns to me next and says: Dot, tell us about yourself....

Howls of laughter around the room and exasperation from Swampy... the instructor had never known my real name.... :D

Oh and one I've just remembered... a chap was at a station nearby who had a slight deformity in his hand meant one hand was slightly smaller than the other. They called him 'Clockface'. Best I'd heard for years. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On my course i cut my thumb open quite badly ( on my first day no less ) and had to have it superglued, with the hospital nurses parting shot of "dont get it wet"

So for four weeks i had to do my training with a casualty glove on under my fire gloves. I also couldnt take part in the rescue swim part of the course. My nickname? Gizmo. Luckily it hasnt followed me to station

• 5 months later...

Just to kick this off again, I know of a guy who's nickname is "Lurpak" as he constantly says "but err - but err" before every sentence. Poor chap :D

• Haha 2

I recently christened a regular stand by to my watch "cloud".

Because eventually he fecks off and it turns into a lovely day.

• Haha 1

I know the type, I know of a "Mood Hoover" who's always got the weight of the world on his shoulders and sucks the life out of everyone, thankfully not on my watch. xD