Body Worn Cameras

In Greater Manchester we have been trialling Body Worn Cameras on Watch Managers and Crew Managers to be used as and when they felt threatened or felt that capturing something worthwhile on an incident would assist either with debriefs or evidence gathering. The cameras were received with a 50/50 approach with obviously some officers keen to wear them and others not. There was no requirement to wear them as it was simply a trial.

Looking forward, like anything else, the cost of giving these to stations is rather expensive so unlikely to be brought in.

Has any other FRS trialled or actually worn these and what's your findings either way. I accept that perhaps Manchester is not the middle of the Cotwolds and the thought of Body Worn Cameras is not needed, or is it?

Just the ORT Officers, not all Officers. (Operational Review Team).

(So they can have a record of me on camera saying "Yeah, thanks for that, now go and stand over there out of my way") xD

• Kudos 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like West Mids are taking it a step further with this article. I must admit, it might give those who have no idea a real insight into just what its really like, dependant of course on how its edited and portrayed?

On Thursday, April 06, 2017 at 22:19, Steve said:

Just the ORT Officers, not all Officers. (Operational Review Team).

(So they can have a record of me on camera saying "Yeah, thanks for that, now go and stand over there out of my way") xD

Hilarious! Can you imagine the annual Xmas outtake edit ?

• Kudos 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got one strapped to my helmet Carl :)

The cameras are pretty good as should give a real insight into our work.  I think the footage the crews will get will be more interesting than me with my trowel however xD