Smoke Alarm - What Type?

CMIOSH

Hello, my first posting.

I have been asked to recommend a smoke alarm for social housing - flats and houses. I am aware there are a number of different types on the market but the real issue is whether to install hard wired or whether 10 year lithium battery would suffice? I would appreciate if anyone can quote authoritative guidance which I can refer.

As an aside, there are smoke/heat/CO2 alarms and also inter-linked alarms. I think the latter may be a bit OTT where we are only installing a maximum of two alarms. The former is worth considering but need to assess the impact of repairs, testing and maintenance associated with these multi-purpose alarms.

Many thanks in advance for replying.

Ray     

I used to work as an electrician and had many social housing contracts, I also designed and installed fire alarm systems. I would recommend you refer to the Building Regs Approved Document B. A standard dwelling should have mains powered interlinked smoke detectors on each level of the property within the circulation areas (hallways and landings etc). Also if the kitchen area is not separated from the circulation areas by a door then an interlinked heat detector should be installed. There is more detailed info in the Approved Document (available online). A separate CO2 detector should be installed adjacent to the central heating boiler. 

Reference to flats then you also need to consider coverage of communal areas,  which would take you into the area of a BS539:1 fire alarm system wired in fire rated cable with a main indicating and control panel and detection and sounder circuits, this may also need to be monitored off site for activations. Emergency lighting would also be required. 

HMO is another area but I don't think you fall into this category. 

Let me know if you need any additional information. What part of the UK are you based in? 

Thanks SteelCity, very useful information.

The type of properties I am referring to are General Needs' flats and maisonettes, which do not have smoke detectors or fire alarms in the common areas. A representative from a well known manufacturer of smoke/heat detectors is saying much the same thing with the exception that a somke detector should be fitted in the living room. They are also recommending the interlinked option with remote tracking.

I am based in the London area.

Hi. I am overseas in a developing country on business and have a poor connection so can't write that much

Search Lacors Guide fire safety. There's a useful part 're fire detection

Will try and answer more fully next week

• 3 months later...
On 08/09/2017 at 10:40, CMIOSH said:

Hello, my first posting.

I have been asked to recommend a smoke alarm for social housing - flats and houses.

As an aside, there are smoke/heat/CO2 alarms and also inter-linked alarms. ...........................

Many thanks in advance for replying.   

On 13/09/2017 at 07:06, SteelCity said:

I also designed and installed fire alarm systems A separate CO2 detector should be installed adjacent to the central heating boiler. 

Forgive me if I am not keeping up with the current specifications of detection systems for the aforementioned domestic properties as I am Ops.

Perhaps this has been a little mis-typed error from both the above persons?

CO2 = Carbon dioxide (chemical formula CO2)

CO = Carbon monoxide (chemical formula CO)

I do not recall in any of my latter years installing Carbon Dioxide (CO2) detectors in flats and maissonettes. However I do know as you all do that Carbon Monoxide detectors are regularly fitted by external stakeholders namely Local Council, private Landlords and a few members of the public.