NEBOSH Fire Safety and Risk Management

GameOn

Has anyone any experience of this course/qualification?

I'm looking into taking it but would like a few pointers with regards to providers, costs, exams etc.

Thanks

Not done it personally, but realise its quite a sought after qualification these days. Most people I have spoken to have said that its "Weeks of their life they will never get back" suggesting its boring. However, if you are into that sort of thing, I guess it could be enjoyable. 

For what reason may I ask? If its for you to take to outside industry then I'd consider the FPA Fire Safety Diploma, which LFB pay for their Fire Safety staff and Senior Officers with the FS tag to undertake. If its for your work within your own FRS then why would you spend your own money on it?

Thanks Carl.

There seems to be a whole host of providers on the internet, some local, some distance learning, some e-learning, but I don't want to sign up for something and find that it's not the right one! 

Hi @Steve I'm looking at moving disciplines within my own service. I'm currently an Ops WM but have been looking at a move into Technical Fire Safety and it was suggested to me that this qualification would address some gaps on my CV and get me into a position where I could be 'up and running' quicker.   

Glad to see the LFB are putting their money where their corporate mouth is! (at last!)

When I was in LFB FS, the training was not (IMHO) commensurate with a Brigade who claims to be world class. I had to deal with consultants that were far more highly qualified that me, and back then the LFB were focused on their IOs achieving  TIFireE rather than any useful qualification. Trust me, I tried! 

I even asked for permission to attend a free fire safety  training event in London which consisted of several seminars. I was told I couldn't go as it would set a precedent - yep, the LFB turned down free training. This is the sort of approach I had to deal with. I eventually took leave so I could attend 

I also funded much of my own training and other CPD in order to keep up with others in the industry . However this was all a part of my post retirement plan, so it was an investment and not an expense if you will.

GameOn

Have a look at Salvus. They have centres across the UK, and as their bosses wrote the excellent accompany guidebook, you are in safe hands. I must stress, this not a course I undertook, or have I used Salvus, but I know two people who have and they were very content with the course they were on

Good luck

nebosh-certificate-programes

7 hours ago, GameOn said:

Thanks Carl.

There seems to be a whole host of providers on the internet, some local, some distance learning, some e-learning, but I don't want to sign up for something and find that it's not the right one! 

Hi @Steve I'm looking at moving disciplines within my own service. I'm currently an Ops WM but have been looking at a move into Technical Fire Safety and it was suggested to me that this qualification would address some gaps on my CV and get me into a position where I could be 'up and running' quicker.   

If thats what they are saying, then fair enough. But I really don't think you should spend your own money doing it. Just my opinion. ;-)

• Like 1

Thank you Messy, I'll have a look at Salvus.

There seem to be so many providers out there that it's important to go with ones that have been recommended.

Did Nebosh a few years ago with a distant learning provider, I found it a waste of money. I got past papers and worked through them. For the health and safety bit used the Hughes and Ferret book.

To support and slightly amend what Carl said - the Level 3 Cert, and Level 4 Cert and Diploma that LFB, along with most other FRS train their FSOs on, is not an FPA qualification, although the FPA were providing the learning to LFB.  It is a national regulated qualification, which means it sits on the national framework.  We provide it at the FSC, and at offsite FRS, and there are other providers.

Bizarrely, when it was set up, the L3 was designated for simple premises, and the L4 for complex -makes no sense but there you go.  The NEBOSH Cert in  Fire Safety and Risk Management is at L3, but covers complex premises too.  The NEBOSH qualification is not a regulated one, however NEBOSH are well recognised and their processes are robust.

Why is this important? Because if you intend to operate as a Fire Risk Assessor, then a qualification is essential - not in terms of being a practitioner, but in terms of determining competence should things go a bit pear shaped and you find yourself on the wrong end of a court case.

If you are intending to work in Fire Safety within a FRS, then the L4 Cert and Diploma is worth doing only because it is the only qualification written specifically against the National Occupational Standards for Fire Safety, and the one that CFOA recommend as appropriate.

There is no need to do the L3 Certificate in order to do the L4, BUT L4 is not for those new to fire safety - there is an expectation that those on the L4 programme are familiar with the RR(FS)O, and understand PACE (which for some reason is in the L3 cert), so if you were going to start with the L4 Cert, you would need to get up to speed on the basics of Fire Safety principles.

I have tried to remain impartial, so here is some shameless marketing - we (the Fire Service College) do a 5 day FRA course at the college, mapped against the NEBOSH syllabus, and also the competency council criteria for Fire Risk Assessors, it is also recognised by the IFE - the difference is that it is taught in plain English, and contains lots of activities to embed the learning.  

Whichever way you go though, I wish you luck - its a slippery slope in fire safety - lots shy away from it as some sort of dark art, but it underpins everything that goes on in terms of firefighting - eventually people get it, and it is interesting - especially if you like solving problems and having some good arguments about the "right" answer.    Every fire safety practitioner needs to learn the two words which pretty much are the stock answer to any fire safety question - "it depends"...

• Like 2

Thank you @Steve S, some really useful information there.

I have got experience of PACE, having worked in Law Enforcement for over 20 years so I just need to look at some past papers and work out where my knowledge level sits and whether I would benefit from beginning at L3.