Fire Appliance Drivers and Seat Belts

JelHead

Wife had an interesting question, do you guys not have to seat belt up when driving? In multiple clips on the TV Documentary the IC and driver weren't seat belted, just wondered if you had an exemption? 

Guys, I have split this topic to avoid the LFB Documentary becoming a mix of questions that warrant their own topic. ;)

Incidentally in Manchester, we are all required to wear them. The more modern pumps have alarms sounding indicating a seat belt has not be fastened so we have to belt up.

Although there is a legal exemption in law for drivers of of fire brigade appliance I believe. Our policy is all will Wear seatbelts, and the trucks have the warning. I believe we did have an accident where the oic  and the driver went through the window many years ago.Personally I think there's little justification for the oic and driver not wearing them (after oic rigged  Which is covered by most brigades policy) we all know what the potential of not wearing a seatbelt in a crash is.  Isn't it a bit hypocritical not to wear them?

Cashy/Dot, interesting, same service different understanding, hopefully the actual policy is not ambiguous.

However this is not dissimilar to other areas as to know every policy inside out is impossible.Just as a point of interest what does the policy actually say? 

I attended a RTC where a pump overturned en route to a shout, killing the officer in charge. The door had popped open and he was thrown out. But during the process, the pump overturned and shut the door on him.

I knew him pretty well but knew and know the driver as a good friend. Their families lives were literary and metaphorically turned upside down that day. A dad and husband dead. Another facing serious legal action and perhaps prison and of course dismissal.

The rest of us had to release a dead mate. It was bloody awful. The shout? An AFA at Hammersmith hospital.

Now you tell me if there is EVER a reason not to buckle up!!!!

The LFB and tbe guys on the LFB documentary  clearly haven't learned from Kevin's death.  That saddens me immensely ?

• Sad 1

Everyone including the driver should be wearing their seat belts, basically when the vehicle is being driven.  We do have exemptions when donning PPE, however this should donned before moving so ergo seat belts on all the time.  That's Brigade policy.  

On in a legal stand point, we all have an exemption when being used for fire & rescue services, only when reversing the driver can relax their seat belt.  

I'm surprised that bit was shown if Im honest.  I like Edric a lot, he's a top guy and wears his heart on his sleeve, he's a brand new Crew Manager in terms of service so he's still learning and developing.  I would like to see other people now though...

Hair trigger reply guys, yep all times except when reversing/manoeuvring or donning ppe(crews in the back) was what it should have said :$

Personally Messy, I remember Kevin's sad loss. Mine went on for every shout in the front seat since. Even then, had a couple of close calls whilst rigging on the way. Decent door locks, warnings on the seatbelts & door have certainly helped and been implemented. But even now I'll walk to the mk3 and find seatbelts plugged in to avoid the alarms sounding....

• Kudos 2
3 hours ago, Messyshaw said:

I attended a RTC where a pump overturned en route to a shout, killing the officer in charge. The door had popped open and he was thrown out. But during the process, the pump overturned and shut the door on him.

I knew him pretty well but knew and know the driver as a good friend. Their families lives were literary and metaphorically turned upside down that day. A dad and husband dead. Another facing serious legal action and perhaps prison and of course dismissal.

The rest of us had to release a dead mate. It was bloody awful. The shout? An AFA at Hammersmith hospital.

Now you tell me if there is EVER a reason not to buckle up!!!!

The LFB and tbe guys on the LFB documentary  clearly haven't learned from Kevin's death.  That saddens me immensely ?

You're very right Messy, people do forget, I recall that being a green watch day. The doors on those Dodges were terrible at best. The OiC door on our TL went through a phase of opening while turning hard right. All these problems were sorted with a small wooden block and Gravelly fastener though O.o.

We all noticed the seat belt thing and mobile in hand... you're on camera for Pete's sake!!

Don't even get me started on the driver with one hand on the gearbox selector or handbrake and the other hand surf steering. I was never taught like that and not were they. I've a couple of drivers who do it habitually.... >:( and I always tell them!

• Kudos 1

Cashy ours is white shirts looking in the back of the wagons and seeing the seat belts already engaged having been threaded behind the sets so out of the way