Casualty Care Training & Qualifications

Hello folks,

I am currently a Crew Commander in the Training Delivery Team with the Scottish FRS.

As part of our continuous improvement, we are looking to speak to other Fire & Rescue Services about their Casualty Care Training and qualifications. 

• What training/qualifications do your Firefighter to Watch Commanders hold?
  • What is the pathway to becoming an Instructor?
  • Do you run any type of Casualty Care course for Station Commanders and above?

I am also looking to find out what you carry in your trauma pack.

If anyone is willing to exchange messages, email or a short Teams call, it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ben Soffe

Ben. I will PM you an email address for our Trauma Trainer. We do extensive Trauma training and quals.

Hi Ben,

I'm not in any trauma training role however can give you info on the above from WMFS.

All FF to WM are FREC 3 trained.

We have station based assesors and the trauma training team that are FREC 4 qualified.

Our trauma packs carry:

• O2 with Hugh Flow masks, BVM and attachments/versions for adults and children
  • Airways (OP and NP)
  • Trauma pouch (4 Tourniquets, Israeli bandage, celox, other bandages etc)
  • Trauma assistance pouch (straps, splints, 10 seconds triage pack)
  • Pulse ox
  • Thermal pouch (face burn mask, cling film, foil blankets, storm blankets etc)

Thanks Carl, I really appreciate that. I am aware of your Trauma Tech work and was hoping to find out more. 

Rory-495, thanks for your reply.

I assume that your FREC 4 trained personnel deliver the FREC 3 training and assessments? Are your FREC 4 personnel trained by an external agency?

Thanks too for the information on your trauma pack contents, very helpful.

Regards

Ben

• Thanks 1

Yeah FREC 4 Train the rest. I believe trained within the service but not 100% sure. Will find out tomorrow