Decontamination - Saunas

Cannot see this happening here but just stumbled upon this on Twitter.

Saunas on stations to remove everythign that gets into your pores.

24 years ago i worked with swedish and finnish firefighters every station had a saunas not sure it was for this tbh

If the health benefits can be proven for saunas, why not?

Like BA washing machines and single use PPE, of course there's a cost involved.

But I reckon it's time to make a cultural change in the UK fire service as cancer is killing too many of us - especially after retirement 

Over many years, the safety of FFs has improved, but  occupational health protection has hardly progressed since the 1970s

If you go to Sellafield or Harwell etc, you will find all sorts of expensive kit to decontaminate staff in an OH strategy - and rightly so-  so why not firefighters ???

not taking the mick but the end of a fire should be like a hazchem for fftrs and kit,just because theres no COSHH sheet does not mean its not going to kill you years later.

I'm of an age where whats done is done

not to protect going forward on the grounds of cost is disgusting

google john lord for the work he with others has done

• Agree 1
  • Kudos 1
On 20/03/2024 at 13:16, Br9mp81 said:

24 years ago i worked with swedish and finnish firefighters every station had a saunas not sure it was for this tbh

Scandinavians have always loved a sauna, it's woven into their culture. So I doubt its something they just decided to get for their firefighters. Its probably their equivalent of a snooker table (just more useful and they're actually allowed to use them).

On 20/03/2024 at 16:45, Messyshaw said:

But I reckon it's time to make a cultural change in the UK fire service as cancer is killing too many of us - especially after retirement 

Over many years, the safety of FFs has improved, but  occupational health protection has hardly progressed since the 1970s

The change is coming, Gaining momentum as someone heavily involved in the contaminants peice, most services doing more than lip service, I've been to two big seminars in the last month. Lots of easy wins too. Exposure apps, tech to reduce pah in fire kit rooms and vehicles, co2 cleaning of fire kit and equipment...

We're heading towards a point when someone will win a class action against a service for Chronic illness...then the gates will open, unfortunately presumptive legislation is probably 10 years away.

• Kudos 1