RAAC - Firefighting Concerns?

Messyshaw

With the news that 100+ schools are closing due to possible structural defects, I wonder how this might effect firefighting tactics at all schools in the short term

I recall similar anxieties with high aluma concrete in the 1970/80s and more recent issues in the ROI with poor mica levels in concrete blocks causing collapes

And to throw a spanner in the works, it's not just schools that are at risk. A huge Crown Court in West London was closed in the last week with RAAC worries 

So where else is this stuff? It would be nice to know if you are laying on your belly wearing BA at a job in a public building !!

BBC News - Harrow Crown court closed after dangerous concrete found

• Like 1

You beat me to it with this @Messyshaw. Looks like another building material that's going to cause firefighters problems. What would concern me with this one is that generally speaking concrete structures are regarded as safe and strong and will absorb large amounts of heat without failing. This stuff sounds like if exposed to heat will fail very quickly like plaster falling of walls and ceilings.

• Agree 1

Why all the hype on this now, its been known about for some time now, I know 14 fire stations in Scotland were affected by that and that was known about in 2021.

It's been known about for a while but why hasn't anything been done before and why announce about schools in the days when they are going back when possibly they could of started this at the beginning of the holidays?

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Why all the hype on this now, its been known about for some time now, I know 14 fire stations in Scotland were affected by that and that was known about in 2021.

It's been known about for a while but why hasn't anything been done before and why announce about schools in the days when they are going back when possibly they could of started this at the beginning of the holidays?

My understanding is that of course, RAAC and its weaknesses has been known about for a while, but for reasons I don't understand, the guidance to building occupiers has changed in the last few weeks. I am sure Sunak and Co were happy to kick this down the road until the next general election, but the change of advice seems to have been thrust upon them

Now they are wheeling out Hunt on Sunday morning TV saying money is no object and the Govt will spend what is needed to keep our kids safe from this concrete 

Call me cynical - but I heard Theresa May (over boos from a crowd of well-wishers) say the same outside Grenfell in 2017 about the removal of cladding,  but 1000s still live at risk and 10s of thousands are struggling to move 

This is definitely the beginning as more of this stuff will be found

The reason the guidance has suddenly been updated is that staff at one of the schools with previously low risk / no risk RAAC beams that showed no external sign of deterioration came back from the summer break to find said low risk roof beam had catastrophically failed, fortunately while no one was present.

The issue with RAAC has been known about since the early ‘60s so it’s an issue that Govts of all parties have failed to get to grips with.  Any buildings with concrete beam flat roofs built from the late ‘50s to the ‘80s are prime candidates for having this issue so there must be thousands and thousands out there, yet to be identified.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update.  Wondered what had triggered it, have stopped following the news as much as I did but certain things kept popping up and then this popped up.

Wonder what will happen to the various fire stations with it in?

I cant help thinking that hysteria is setting in now after seeing an anxious 14 year old girl on the news with her mum saying how worried she is her school building will randomly collapse.

Its all very similar to the (pre social media) days when research was published on blue asbestos health risks. There was a flap about schools and hospitals and how we are all going to die

But when the dust settled (excuse the pun), regular inspections and assessments,  followed by priority led action, the risk was limited and controlled to how we live with it today

Its the simple 21st formula of P = M+E x G

Where.....

P - problem. M- mainstream media  E - social media experts and G - crap Government 

• Like 1

it would be useful to have a register of all public buildings with it in, quite frankly unless I read about it on the MDT as a hazard present in the building on my way to an incident then there is zero chance of identifying it, all you’ve got to go on is the building dates of 50-90’s