GMFRS Increasing Pumps

Inspired by the Scottish FRS thread in respect of losing 10 pumps, GMFRS has lost a few assets over the years. However, whilst not a massive win, it's still a win, we are putting 2nd pumps back at Moss Side and Manchester Central. Its going out to public consultation but if we are increasing the fleet of fire appliances by two, I can't complain. 

• Like 2

What are the longer term plans for Central though? 

Rumour a while back that they were looking to merge Central with Philip's Park and sell the Thompson St site as it's prime development land, I know the Royal Mail Centre at the rear is also being looked at for closure (again partly to do with being prime development area)

I've seen the proposed rebuild of Stockport Fire Station, again I'm a bit perplexed at only having a single appliance bay in a wholetime station in one of the largest brigades in the country? It just seems as though you could be caught out at some point - e.g. if the appliance bay doors fail, or a temporary transfer of a neighbouring appliance or even perhaps more surprisingly if someone decides to give Stockport their second pump back. (extremely unlikely, I know) 🤷‍♂️

Sorry went off on a tangent a bit there. 

Im not too sure what the plans are as they chop and change all the time. People can voice their concerns via the public consultation if they wish. I don't do rumours so have no idea what they are. We no longer have the training centre on the central site, that's all moved over to Bury now.

Station land is of no value to us as a service now as a Devolved Manchester, we sit under Andy Burnham as the Mayor. If he wants to sell off station land, he can do, and use the money to fund bin wagons if he wishes. It's one big pot.

• Like 1

Has to be a positive if there is talk of returning pumps, even if they probably shouldn't have been removed in the first place. When I hear of any mention of Andy Burnham though, I worry, as I think immediately of a certain Tony Bliar.😠

• Like 1

I don't think the merger ever got to the consultation stage, I think it was a proposal put forward at one point when the training centre moved to Bury.

I've been reluctant to post until the public consultation went live - That's today - the 2 pumps going back to said stations is heavily dependent on two other stations dropping down to day-crewing to cover the cost.

One of these stations is 'next door' to another DC station so a life risk in the middle of the night WILL get a delayed response.

At present Manchester Central is one pump and a TL with the CM riding the aerial and a driver, however if the 2nd pump comes back I wonder if it will go back to jump manning again which has it's own problems. 

• Like 1
On 04/06/2023 at 02:24, E119 said:

What are the longer term plans for Central though? 

Rumour a while back that they were looking to merge Central with Philip's Park and sell the Thompson St site as it's prime development land, I know the Royal Mail Centre at the rear is also being looked at for closure (again partly to do with being prime development area)

I've seen the proposed rebuild of Stockport Fire Station, again I'm a bit perplexed at only having a single appliance bay in a wholetime station in one of the largest brigades in the country? It just seems as though you could be caught out at some point - e.g. if the appliance bay doors fail, or a temporary transfer of a neighbouring appliance or even perhaps more surprisingly if someone decides to give Stockport their second pump back. (extremely unlikely, I know) 🤷‍♂️

Sorry went off on a tangent a bit there. 

one station i worked at was reverse in, the bay door failed, middle of winter we had oil heaters and cables out to the cab,you can guess what happened

• Like 1
7 hours ago, CaptainFlack said:

I wonder if it will go back to jump manning again which has it's own problems. 

Nope, it's staying permanently crewed as per briefing pack. 

• Like 1
On 05/06/2023 at 16:01, CaptainFlack said:

At present Manchester Central is one pump and a TL with the CM riding the aerial and a driver, however if the 2nd pump comes back I wonder if it will go back to jump manning again which has it's own problems. 

The TL at G16 will be primary ‘crewed’ even when there are two pumps there.

Have heard Sale may be moving to day crewed so not all sunshine and rainbows?

Any other changes planned/rumoured?

Good news for Moss and Central.

Offerton along with Sale is the other proposed Station to go Day Crewing which along with changes to TRU will release two pumps back into service.

I'm not saying its a good thing obviously, any reduction in fire cover is a negative but I can see day crewing at either of those stations being popular, there's plenty of fellas who live within the boundaries of both.

This is based on the assumption that gmfrs still offer housing allowance etc as part of the day crewing package?

Realistically, If that's the case then I'd imagine they'll be a good number of people queuing up to do it. If not then it's kind of hard to see the attraction vs working the regular WT + 1.5×OT arrangements.

On 12/06/2023 at 10:53, PB86 said:

Realistically, If that's the case then I'd imagine they'll be a good number of people queuing up to do it. If not then it's kind of hard to see the attraction vs working the regular WT + 1.5×OT arrangements.

Try a self rostered system that attracts a 17.5% uplift and will also see a £7450 per year rent/cost allowance - oh and at weekends it is pretty much a stand down arrangement. 

Put it another way - if I lived near there I would not be a FDS SM, I would be a WM enjoying more than twice as many days off per month, have no bills, choose when to do my 13-15 shifts and have far less workload... the 5 grand less in pay? an easy sacrifice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2023 at 14:47, Br9mp81 said:

Till they turn the station into a blue light hub like irlam WIMHO looks a mess

Have you ever been? You’re welcome to come and speak to all three services there at length to see how beneficial it is having one hub serving the area and the overall working relationship.

Prior to coming to Irlam, GMP used a tiny pre-fab cabin next to a local park for decades after the former Lancs Constabulary Police Station closed, the closest full Police Station being Eccles. NWAS too have an Ambulance Station in Eccles but for both services it enhances their response model to use Irlam and improved the welfare of their staff. The only criticism NWAS have is that the full turn out lights and system, useless during the night as nobody is there from GMFRS, come on scaring them to death if on Station and during their rest break - but that’s it!

At the most, there are 3 NWAS staff operating from there at any one time, 1-3 GMP staff and the pump crew - the building easily accommodates everyone and having managed the largest GMFRS/NWAS hub there is with 212 NWAS staff, 32 vehicles and 8-9 shift changes per 24 hours plus 48 GMFRS staff, by comparison it is a black to white difference.

Not doubting that at all, i just feel that the pictures plastered all over the front of the bays make it look like a taccy newsagents, it was a nice looking station front with hanging baskets years back

I do like bright red shiny gloss doors but they bleach to a pink very quickly. 

It is personal preference though, but I actually like the wraps and have worked at both Wigan and now Irlam where pictures of some of the people who proudly work there and serve their communities adorn them and IMHO are far more appealing than the original MOD ‘olive drab’.

image.thumb.jpeg.12f8cd27001c1efd4cefb223df5e1619.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.56855a5f8113e24bceaa8629f578340f.jpeg

Apologies for this going off Thread, my fault 🥺

Jesus, that's hideous 

A relatively attractive piece of contemporary civic architecture decimated by egotistical vandalism 

I like the description of it looking like a tacky newsagent . It also reminded me of a derelict shop plastered with posters for gigs

Thanks for posting the photos as I did wonder what it looked like 👍 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting letter posted on a Trafford facebook page, Trafford MBC are kicking up about Stretford losing TL,and Sale going DM, the first paragraph points out that FA use of english (much like my own) is not good, giving the impression of new DM stations when in effect its cutting WT stations, that and the massive on ward and up ward growth of tower blocks in the Manchester end of Trafford questions moving the TL, also asking if any Sale FFTRS live close enough to make turn out time.

• Like 1