Award for 30yrs

How many services give out a 30yr award. I have attached a Royal Warrant which explains a 30yr Fire Service Award is available. I have not seen many. It basically consists of the additional bar on the medal and a rosette on the ribbon bar. 

I have attached the Royal Warrant and also a recent picture showing it on a retirement gift. 

Thirty Years.jpeg

Fire Royal Warrant LSGCM.pdf

I retired almost 14 years ago  after 32 years in - and at that time the LFB did nothing like this. I hope they do now 

All I got was a Valedictory Letter (from a senior officer I never met).

Even though I was in a building full of white helmets, none could be arsed to come and say a few words on my last day. Bitter? Me? Just a smidge 🙄

Thankfully my three retirement dos (the proper one, the fire safety team one and the rather raucous one with my old watch) all made up for the rather lacklustre last day 😔

• Like 1

I queried this with my service the other week as I have a crew member about to hit 40 years as an on call firefighter.  No response from them yet.  Like you I haven’t seen or heard of any being issued.  Will update if I get a response.

I think that this was something that was announced, but it doesn't appear that many Brigades / Services are aware of it or have taken it up. In the case @TandA has mentioned, I think that the firefighter in question is actually entitled to 2 bars on their medal. Its probably mainly something for the Retained members at present, as most Wholetime retire at 30 years due to the "old" FPS pension arrangements, but that will probably change with the new pensions.

On 03/02/2023 at 20:02, TandA said:

I queried this with my service the other week as I have a crew member about to hit 40 years as an on call firefighter.  No response from them yet.  Like you I haven’t seen or heard of any being issued.  Will update if I get a response.

Never mind a clasp or two, him and his family deserve a mention in the honours list for 40 years of living life around a pager

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Kudos 2

Although he is extremely dedicated and an amazing guy, he isn’t even in the top 3 longest serving Essex on call. He would need at least another 6 years to catch those ahead of him but they are all still serving so it’s a moving target.  I thoroughly agree though, anyone giving 40 years of their life to this job deserves a bit of recognition.

Edited by Carl
Quote removed as it is a quote of the previous post. Please see FAQ

You certainly are entitled to it, it might be worth making enquiries and referring your former service to the Royal Warrant above - paragraphs 5.2 and 5.3 are the important ones.

• Like 1

I will ask the question what Humberside do, I know its achknowledged but what is actually given I am not sure.

Just lost quite a few 30 year serving so the opporunity doesn't come up very often, had a few 40 years but there are a few now nearing their 50 years and I know it was mentioned what to do.  

• 1 month later...
On 03/02/2023 at 20:02, TandA said:

As promised, I have now been told that we have recently started to award the clasp as and when an appropriate milestone is reached so apparently my ff will get both 30 and 40 year awards when he reaches 40 years of service in December.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 05/02/2023 at 19:43, Yoffey said:

I did 40 years retiring 2 years ago. Can I claim the bar and ribbon ?

Had a reply from my Brigade that I’m not entitled to them as I retired prior to the date of 11/3/2022 which is the date you had to be a serving member to qualify

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...