SGI

Luminoki

We know the above firm have been a mainstay im Surrey for some time and have hit the headlines with their work on protestors needing removal from places such as bridges. But this week they have been pictured at the scene of the dog attack in Caterham. What role would they play here that the police cant fulfil

Eight Dogs Seized After Fatal Mauling

Edited by Keith
Link formatted correctly

@Luminoki, I noticed their vans there on the news and for the life of me, I couldn't understand what they might have to offer.

But their website states they offer services including 'evidence recovery and locating human remains'

I have no idea what a human body looks like after being mauled by 8 dogs, but I am sure the Police would want all body parts located, collected and handled in accordance with forensic protocols

• Thanks 1

Well the books going on pre-order ( i do have an interest in stuff like that ) Is this because Surrey police being a county service cant call upon the resources that the Met would have?

It does feel a bit uncomfortable that SGI along with numerous commercial forensic services are being bought in by Police services across the UK.

Its a bit like how I see the NHS going. Quietly, almost invisibly, parts go to the lowest bidder and the next thing you know, it's all privatised and not always providing the same level of service.

This is not a new thing @Messy SGI have been on the police books many many years, just maybe not quite as visiblly as they are now (social media. Signed up livery etc ) ,

Peter is a nice bloke. And they have some Gucci equiment.

• Like 1
On 14/01/2023 at 22:16, Luminoki said:

Well the books going on pre-order ( i do have an interest in stuff like that ) Is this because Surrey police being a county service cant call upon the resources that the Met would have?

Much of their work is for the Met.

Personally I never liked seeing them when I was in Surrey, I didn’t agree with their mission and premise and often found their staff to be secretive and unwilling to work within our command structure at the time. 

• 5 weeks later...

Good to read that SGIs owner, Peter Faulding, a tasteless self promoter, Walter Mitty, bordering on narcissist, is being found out, even having the audacity to play the ‘victim’ card here after ‘offering’ to help Lancs Police in the puzzling disappearance of Nicola Bulley.

He used the opportunity to do no more than raise his/SGIs profile in a self made media circus the very same week he brought a book out!

Never one to shy away from a camera or microphone, his rogue unauthorised interviews have resulted in earning the wrath of Lancs Police and now many other Police Forces will be carefully reviewing any MOU they have with him and his company

• Like 1

Originally they were not but his vehicles are registered as Emergency Service Vehicles which now meet some on the below criteria. SGI drivers are also trained in emergency response driving.

What counts as an emergency vehicle?

An emergency vehicle is classed as a vehicle used:

• for police purposes (but not necessarily a police vehicle, e.g. search and rescue)
  • for firefighting purposes (but not necessarily a fire brigade vehicle) including local councils and the Forestry Commission as well as fire salvage work
  • for ambulance purposes (but not necessarily an ambulance vehicle, e.g. cave rescue) including the movement of sick, injured or disabled people and for moving human organs
  • for bomb disposal
  • for nuclear accidents
  • for mountain rescue
  • by the Royal Air Force Armament Support Unit
  • by the National Blood Service
  • by HM Coastguard
  • for mine rescue
  • by the RNLI for launching lifeboats
  • by HM Revenue and Customs for serious crime
  • by the military special forces (e.g. the SAS) for a national security emergency
  • Like 1
On 14/02/2023 at 21:39, Percy said:

Good to read that SGIs owner, Peter Faulding, a tasteless self promoter, Walter Mitty, bordering on narcissist, is being found out, even having the audacity to play the ‘victim’ card here after ‘offering’ to help Lancs Police in the puzzling disappearance of Nicola Bulley.

He used the opportunity to do no more than raise his/SGIs profile in a self made media circus the very same week he brought a book out!

Never one to shy away from a camera or microphone, his rogue unauthorised interviews have resulted in earning the wrath of Lancs Police and now many other Police Forces will be carefully reviewing any MOU they have with him and his company

Not a good day for SGI and it’s self promoting boss.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Of course he has been online blaming Lancs Police for failing to tell him Nicola was vulnerable 

Apparently his firm would have searched the river in a different manner.🤔

It does feel a bit unsavoury for a company to use such a tragedy (indeed any tragedy) for marketing reasons which is what this feels like 😔

• Like 2

@Percy I'm quite intrigued by your views on Peter Faulding and SGI. I'm taking from your previous comments you've had some prior experience of them?

Anything you're able to share? DM if your prefer.

He does seem to be getting a lot of stick online in the last few days. A bad day for him indeed.

In all honesty I've found a lot of the coverage of this case quite distasteful, from the self promoting SGI boss popping up on every media outlet giving ill informed opinions, press articles around the SIO's mode of attire and other individuals alleged to be planning on selling stories of Nicola Bulley's alcohol issues to the press. 

Good! When SGI was the next instalment of the emperors new clothes that we were expected to all kneel before and hail how wonderful they looked, I did my own home work including full Companies House account checks (this was around 2013). The sums just didn’t add up. Now this was done purely because SGI were becoming more and more prominent in Surrey FRS and obviously had the ear of the Chief and others and then lo and behold they would also be doubling up as pension strike contingency crew too.

They had blue vans in the early days with no blue lights fitted or exemptions, but they soon started turning up in bright red vans with flashing blue lights - the ultimate example of an attempt to privatise a FRS special service calls outside of RTC. Not for me ta!

Then we had Ops Franklin - much of Surrey was under water. My first real experience of ‘working’ with them. I say working but they just didn’t want to know and stuck to their own IC structure and mission.

In fairness to SGI, it’s only fair I say that many of my colleagues had different experiences. Some of our training people and fellow AGCs (SMB Flexi) spoke very highly of them. Not me. They seemed to have an air of superiority and didn’t want to engage - that suited me.

For over a decade though I have watched Peter Faulding and his company grow from strength to strength, mainly due to the skills of Peter who is a world champion at self promotion.

He became unstuck in Lancashire - his thirst for publicity being his Achilles heel and his ultimate undoing.

I will not mourn SGI’s demise.

• Like 5