LFB Documentary

Don't tell anyone, but I quite enjoyed this latest episode!! Ok, there's its still got more cheese there than a Dairylea warehouse, but to be fair, it's for public consumption and not necessarily for a technical debrief by firefighters. So I won't mention "It doesn't get more hazardous than that" for a garden centre fire with warm LPG bottles, or the wayward covering jet on next door's wall when the fire is out and just smoke coming out of the window in the neighbouring premises!!

I was pleased to see footage of the garden centre as I reported a concern I had in relation to a blocked and darkened fire exit here (near to an area were kids would gather to look a Xmas lights)  to fire safety a year before. As this fire originated when the shop was open, I feel more than vindicated for grassing them up.

Steve was the star of this episode. His performance has been described as like Marlon Brando - in his portrayal of a frustrated but veers patient GM waiting 3 hrs for the LAS!! (That's amazing!). And his explanation of the Mill Hill insulation fire was interesting and topical.

I have heard Steve has been approached by Channel 5 for the next Celebrity Big Brother as Edric is busy in Hollywood filming 'Backdraft - The Vegan Version!'

The banter in Battersea's mess was authentic and great for an old fart like me to see. I am not sure how their nutty makes any profit at 40p for any item!!!!

If anyone is after a signed photo of Steve, give me a shout. I've got a job lot coming from Del Boy next week,after he tipp-exs the name of some bloke of The Soprano's out.xD

• Haha 1

The 40p a go watch shop has raised a lot of questions up here in Jockland, how can they possibly be making money (particularly given London prices) when our mess manager pleads poverty at 50p an item, and only for fun-size sweets at that! (All original humour on us Jocks being tighter than two coats of paint will be greatly received!)

Steve's segments were great, the boss looks a natural infront of the cameras. 

Also enjoyed the small part on Malicious calls to Control, good to see it highlighted.

Having watched the 3 episodes, I have to say I quite enjoyed it. Yes, it was made for TV and those sensible enough and certainly in the job will see that, otherwise it would probably not be as appealing. After all if you made a 3 part documentary on plumbers or electricians you would have to add quite a bit to get me to watch it.

Overall I think it showed well what life on a watch is like as well as the frustrations we meet each and every day out on the jobs. Crews will always be little different when the cameras are rolling.  I, along with others, years ago, refused to go on Inferno 999 when it was filmed in Manchester for several reasons but having no choice over what would be shown made me a little uneasy., plus I once froze on live radio, so TV is way out for me. :)

Well done to the LFB, and also to our very own @Steve who actually came across just as he is in real life. Well I say that, he's the only bloke I know who can split and one syllabul word up and put a **** in between it xD

I am with you Carl. I quite enjoyed it. Take away the cheesy stuff like the acted 'welcome to the station speech last night and the hideous music and it was not bad

Last night only had our superstar on the titles which was poor. But the frightened 'deer in the headlights expression on the sprogs face at his first make up made up for no SuperDude. I reckon we all remember our first job. I hope my face didn't look as scared - but I bet it did?

I said the same thing to the missus regarding the new guy and his facial expressions on seeing his first real job.

I must admit, it made me chuckle but at the same time I understood too.

Overall a very enjoyable series.

7 hours ago, Messyshaw said:

But the frightened 'deer in the headlights expression on the sprogs face at his first make up made up for no SuperDude

I too chuckled at that as it clearly wasn't acting. The sweat and "oh shit" expression was priceless. We have all been there, and those looking to join, if successful will have that face xD I also liked hit quote about he didn't realise it would be so hectic. Organised Chaos is more the word I think :)

Yep, enjoyed all 3 episodes, the last one was the better of them all for me.  Gave a better insight across other stations/ watches, so it was good to have that mix of shouts/jobs too.  Recruits face was priceless, while he was looking up at that job, was glad he got a wear at too.  Well done to the guys who were interviewed and those who worked whilst being filmed throughout...  Stuart Brown is a top bloke so the recruit won't go far wrong with him as his guv along with Aldo too even if he is retiring soon. Well done guys ??

I enjoyed the series and 'survived' without disgracing myself. However, the whole series, with the exception of Grenfell & Croydon seemed a bit house fire/RTC/House Fire/RTC for me. Knowing just how much was actually filmed and the wide varierty of watches, other departments and incidents I feel a little sold short, but like I've said all along, the Produder had ITV prime-time advertisers to please so it had to be as exciting as possible. I'd also feel a little bit peeved if I was at Lambeth and Brixton, it very much seemed to be Battersea's show, but the film crews spent months at the other stations.

Hopefully more stations will be up for series two and more crews wil lbe willing to talk which will then excuse the chaperone GM's from having to have so much camera time... which has been a big criticism that has p1ssed me off becuase it isn't our fault... the producer picked the juicy incidents and with so few peopel willing to speak it was left to us.

My only head in the hands moment was the fire that the new recruit attended. How may BA wearers and how much water??? I was appalled at the water running through the ceiling and down the stairs. I literally wanted to jump into the screen drag the huddle of Ff's down the stairs, straighten them out, send two back up to play the game of a toot of water followed by a wait and see... repeat until its done. I'm always careful not to armchair referee things, but it seems they just turned the jets on and hoped for the best. Even the WM remarked on the water.... as well I wasnt on that one as I'd have put a few more f***'s into single syllable words.

No doubt with the home BC allegedly heading to GMC, they'll send them my side of the water for Series two and we'll show'em how it's done....

Like we did in FIRE in 1991!!!! xDo.O:ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed the series as did my other half. He has always wondered why I am very defensive when people criticise Firefighters and the service and I think it gave him and insight into the job you all do and he can now understand why I get p***ed off with people complaining and being out of line.

Looking forward to series 2 and hoping to see a bit of the east end in the new series.

Aye, it was all south, even West End Gateway didn't get our normal showing... Me & Wurzel from Lambeth are currently residing in the spares bin, wondering if we're needed for series two...

Ok. When did it become the norm (indeed is the the norm?) to kiss and hug each other after a working job?

Is there a code? Is it every job or just make ups? Are post AFA or rubbish chute job celebrations  limited to hand shakes or high fives?

I found myself feeling quite envious of this new public expression  of love and brotherhood/sisterhood until I recalled how feckin ugly some of my former colleagues were and how smelly and repulsive they were normally - let alone after a wear

In time I suppose the footballesque celebrations will evolve into little dances and sliding on your knees towards the police cordon tape where the crowd are cheering and performing Mexican waves whilst sitting on seats delivered by the Brigade' s Mobile Grandstand Unit

With the increased number of female fire fighters, I for one will be looking forward to the ritual of swapping shirts before booking mobile ?

• Haha 2

I know where you're at Messy. I normally restrict myself to a pat on the shoulder, maybe a handshake for a job well done, at least I have since the court case, the judge was very understanding.............xD

• Haha 1

I'm still catching up and noticed the amount of folks with their faces blurred out.  Why were so many reluctant to be seen on TV?

I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't? 

2 hours ago, Noddy said:

I'm still catching up and noticed the amount of folks with their faces blurred out.  Why were so many reluctant to be seen on TV?

I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't? 

It goes somethng like this.

"No worries mate if you don't want to appear on camera, any reason why"?

"Yeah, coz of the Kingsland Documentary Guvnor"

"Oh right.... How long you been in the job then"?

"Eight years why"?

"And how old are you"?

"32 Guvnor"

"Oh right, so you were five when that came out then"

"Yeah, but No, But....etc...."

• Haha 1

Those that had their faces blurred were either people that as rightly stated, did not want to appear in the documentary or were people that the production crew were not able to gain permission from due to practical reasons and so by default were left with faces obscured. I know because I was one of the latter.

6 hours ago, Steve said:

It goes somethng like this.

"No worries mate if you don't want to appear on camera, any reason why"?

"Yeah, coz of the Kingsland Documentary Guvnor"

"Oh right.... How long you been in the job then"?

"Eight years why"?

"And how old are you"?

"32 Guvnor"

"Oh right, so you were five when that came out then"

"Yeah, but No, But....etc...."

Its that 'group think' that plagues us!

We were 'told' we were having a fly on the wall crew attached to my station some years back. No asking, no consultation - just "do it".

Nearly all of us didn't want to play. Reasons ranged from one guy who didn't want customers to recognise him (part timing) , to me not wanting to be on TV as I enjoy my privacy. I was also peed off with the arrogance that the LFB showed by not even considering asking. In fact their attitude was it was some kind of treat.

Still no consultation, just bully boy tactics which led to us threading to walk off the station if the cameras came in, so it was cancelled.

They eventually went up north to GMC and made a fab series there

On 13/08/2017 at 07:56, Messyshaw said:

In time I suppose the footballesque celebrations will evolve into little dances and sliding on your knees towards the police cordon tape where the crowd are cheering and performing Mexican waves whilst sitting on seats delivered by the Brigade' s Mobile Grandstand Unit

With the increased number of female fire fighters, I for one will be looking forward to the ritual of swapping shirts before booking mobile ?

Comedy bloody gold ??

My iPad is now covered in coffee that was, seconds ago, in my mouth?