Conditional Offer - Warwickshire 3

Copey25

I am shell shocked. 

My name is Rich, I've been an RDS firefighter for 8 years. During that time I have applied for literally every single recruitment process where I was eligible. This took me as far as Highlands & Islands FRS (before it was amalgamated into the SFRS) and as far down as Cornwall. I enrolled myself on adult learning courses to get my GCSE equivalents to A*-C. I bought loads of revision booklets for each part of the selection process, revised my arse off and vowed to improve to the point where failure was not an option.

This my first post on this forum but I spent a lot of time on another forum, asking questions and getting my pqas on point. 

I've counted 8 unsuccessful attempts.

I improved on every process but due to fierce competition and small amounts of vacancies, I was never successful. 

I started to lose interest, got sick of rejection and accepted that I may never become a wholetime firefighter.

It was at that point that my local brigade recruited. I saw this as a last ditch attempt to get in and if I was unsuccessful I was going to knock it on the head and accept life as is.

I applied, gave it my all at every stage and revised to the point where I thought my wife would leave me for neglecting her. My head was in the books preparing for the interview for 4-7 hours a day up until the interview date.

I was so nervous I thought I'd bombed in the interview. An unusual interview style including a presentation took me by surprise but my revision paid off.

2 days ago I received my offer for employment conditional on satisfactory references.

I am over the moon, I can't believe I've finally made it. 

Keep trying, you'll get there eventually. 

Well done mate, sounds like you have put a lot of effort in to getting where you are. I still remember that phone call. All the best.

5 hours ago, Luminoki said:

Well done mate, what service is this for?

Thanks mate, it's for Warwickshire. You're from WFRS aren't you? I think I spoke to you a bit on the other forum previously. 

1 hour ago, Carefree said:

Fantastic effort mate and an inspiration for any looking to get in.

Enjoy station life when you get there.

Thanks mate, really appreciate that. Just shows that you can get there if you put the work in. 

1 hour ago, FireWalshy said:

Well done mate, sounds like you have put a lot of effort in to getting where you are. I still remember that phone call. All the best.

Thanks mate, think it'll be a while before it stops feeling surreal!

45 minutes ago, SteelCity said:

Well done mate, congratulations. You'll love the job. 

Thanks buddy, I really hope so!

Im Hereford and Worcester support staff ( for the next week anyway ) but no doubt you did. I know a couple of people on your course, including an RDS watch commander

5 hours ago, Luminoki said:

Im Hereford and Worcester support staff ( for the next week anyway ) but no doubt you did. I know a couple of people on your course, including an RDS watch commander

Ah of course, you start with WMFS! One of my mates just got in there, I think he'll be on the same course as you. 

Is it frustrating that H&W are recruiting after you've been offered? Sod's law!

Due to being retained I'm actually starting on station first and then going to training school next year sometime. Interesting way to work it but see how it plays out...

Not really, i'd rather work for West Mids. Wow thats interesting. My RDS crew meet up with Alcester and Henley from time to time. And during the 2015 secondments half of my stations WT ended up at Alcester ( surprised none of them went postal after going to a station that whose turnouts are double figures )Have many RDS from Warks got through? Is what youre doing indicative of how Warks will train their own RDS in becoming WT?

6 hours ago, Luminoki said:

Not really, i'd rather work for West Mids. Wow thats interesting. My RDS crew meet up with Alcester and Henley from time to time. And during the 2015 secondments half of my stations WT ended up at Alcester ( surprised none of them went postal after going to a station that whose turnouts are double figures )Have many RDS from Warks got through? Is what youre doing indicative of how Warks will train their own RDS in becoming WT?

Fair enough mate, I'm glad it's worked out for you. Haha! Bloody hell, they can't be that quiet surely?! Alcester is one of our quieter stations. Just been told that my first post will be at our busiest station. Gonna be a big change!

Only 6 Warks RDS got through from 40+  RDS applicants. The rest are from other brigades and off the street. I think it's 7 from other brigades and 16 general public. Well that's what I've been told anyway. 

No idea mate, this is the first recruitment in 9 years so I think we're guinea pigs. It doesn't really make sense as there's a couple Warks RDS who have been on WT secondments and are competent WT but still have to go to training school ?

1 hour ago, TrainHardFightEasy said:

Well done, solid effort. 

Thanks mate! Appreciate that.

@SHM92

Starting at 26 Rugby! It's a tie between that and Nuneaton for the busiest stations so at least I'm gonna get a ton of experience. Apparently it'll only be temporary until Jan and then I'll go to training school with the other RDS. 

That makes a bit of sense from what they said at the interview about 2 "intakes" going to school! 

Any news yet as to which school they have chosen??

@MHaldron

No idea yet mate, sounds like they were undecided when I asked at interview. I'm praying it's the fire college in Moreton cause Devon would be a mission ? 

Massive congrats mate. Sounds like you've had a very similar journey to me in terms of when and where you started and the efforts you've been to land yourself a position. You'll be pinching yourself for the next few months.

Awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @JamesLM!

Very surreal, I start on the watch on Thursday. The nerves are kicking in but I'm really looking forward to it. 

It shows that the effort pays off eventually!

thanks again pal.