What's Going On Here?

image.thumb.png.1555facc50ea8ea4530e53d2c4147c04.png

Its been years since I stood at he back of a pub and had the responsibility of supplying water, so forgive me if this is an obvious question.

But what is going on here with a hydrant length being plugged into the collector head?

I assume its some pump cooling procedure as I have run off water into a drain before now for that purpose, but only when connected to a hydrant 

Any ideas?

It’s a cooling length messy 😊 they are commonly used out in the counties. They do the job I guess the heat exchanger should be doing. 

• Like 1

Yup simple cooling loop. 

Personally I think one short length is a bit of a token gesture but better than nothing (and easier to make up). 

Weird back end of the lorry. It looks a little bit like an MoD crash tender/RIV

• Like 1

You were obviously too efficient at your jobs Messy.... Used this as a driver when pumping against closed deliveries such as at an RTA etc. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, OscarTango said:

Yup simple cooling loop. 

Personally I think one short length is a bit of a token gesture but better than nothing (and easier to make up). 

Most crash trucks the power packs at the rear and pumps mounted mid ships. not sure about the new MPRV

• Like 1

The picture seems to show a blank cap with the collecting head removed, the length is going into the tank fill.  That way circulating the warm water back into the tankful of cold water.   If it was connected into the collecting head and thus direct to the pump then you would only be circulating water around the pump and one length and would get very very limited cooling effect as pointed out above.

• Like 1
On 26/06/2022 at 11:04, OscarTango said:

Yup simple cooling loop. 

That looks like one of ours. More pictures of Swanage's appliance on their Twitter page HERE.

Its an MAN heavy off road appliance. Similar to that of the MoD and some airports. Carries everything a normal appliance does except it only has a 10.5M triple ladder. Rides 5 not 6. Also has a built in CAFS pump with a single outlet on the pump (furthest to the left in the pump bay). Amazing bit of kit off road, in fact its better off road than on it!

Correct it is a cooling loop and standard practice here.

• Like 1

Defiantly a (original) Dorset 4x4 MAN WrT that (as seen here and here).

I was lead to believe cooling loops are no longer required on the more recently appliances as they have a cooling loop built into the pump, I know they are not used on similar aged appliances around here, is it just old habits?

True the newer pumps have the cooling loops built in. However in hot conditions or over long periods they can still warm up so you might see newer pumps with a cooling loop. 

Akslo sometimes depends on what temp your thermal relief valve is set at, if set too high the hot water in the pump casing(if slipping or pumping against closed deliveries) doesn't auto dump. Not good to deliver hot water  ! Simple adition of short length sorts it. (Most newer pumps require you to remember to turn on a cooling loop/system (generally by selecting a button on the controls)

10 hours ago, Mitch said:

That looks like one of ours. More pictures of Swanage's appliance on their Twitter page HERE.

Its an MAN heavy off road appliance. Similar to that of the MoD and some airports....    ... Amazing bit of kit off road, in fact its better off road than on it!

Thought it looked like an EmergencyOne body. We have something similar but built on a Volvo FMX chassis. Unfortunately its not much use off or on road. Most stations that have them would give them away for free to a good home.🤣

Picture of one on the Fire Ireland site if you scroll down to Rathfriland Station page where it runs as the No2 appliance.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

A cooling loop.  Our new Alpha 1 has a neat doohickey valve that does all that for you(as long as you don't forget to use it cos its a tiny valve) I still instinctively want to plug in a short length.  :)