Retirement - Becile

@Dysonthe time is right for me, not done 30 but done enough to pay off mortgage / cars etc and have some left over.

there’s so much going on, not all of it I’m at ease with to be honest, but I want to leave happy , 

the past year has been the most challenging I have ever known from a management perspective, some of senior leadership styles baffle me, so much so I stopped going for promotion as I didn’t want to become that, and there’s more to come both within my service and U.K. frs as a whole (in my opinion).

Its been an absolute blast for the vast majority of it and I will miss the people, the jobs, and the camaraderie and banter, I’ve made friends for life, it’s all I’ve known for much of my walking days. I won’t miss the new world frs politics, 

Time to move on, I’ll watch from a bit further away, and won’t become one of those keyboard warriors that seem to exist.

You’ll still see me on here, but things move so fast I’ll become a dinosaur quickly (obviously never as ancient as @Messyshaw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good luck, but remember that retirement is a 7 day/ 24 hour job. No weekends, no 40 hours, no holidays. Its retirement all the time.

I think its unfair to inflict it on the old! Mind you, it was the best day of my life.

• Thanks 1

@Becile. Congratulations on your service and retirement.I did 40 yrs in a big City brigade and loved it but don’t miss it at all now. Fire Service is a great career but you will love the next part even more👍

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dyson said:

Good luck mate, remember the good days, forget the rest. 😊

I intend to,  as I say ...the good massively outweighs the not so good

Makes me reflective, for those of us that have been here a while, we have kind of seen each other grow and develop throughout a large part of our fire brigade careers. We’ve seen them join, we’ve seen a few retirements, lots of people come and go I guess. You’ve been a big part of this here, and I hope to see you here, after you hang up your boots and clipboard 😊

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Becile said:

You’ll still see me on here, but things move so fast I’ll become a dinosaur quickly (obviously never as ancient as @Messyshaw.

That is the typical sort of remark I would expect from gobby youngsters in the job like @Becile. No respect for my age, experience and frankly, extremely handsome physique  🙄 🤔

Many congratulations to you. 👏 I really hope you enjoy the last few days and get to see as many colleagues as you can in that time. Thank goodness that covid restrictions now allow you to hold a celebration of some kind and I do hope you are planning something to mark this milestone occasion in your life.

When I left the job I did not see it as 'retirement' but considered it as the end of my contract with the LFB. I was 50 and far too young to buy a greenhouse or take up stamp collecting, and the pension wasn't really enough to replace my salary. So a career elsewhere beckoned which has given me a few quid to top up the pension and enough problems solving to keep my grey matter sharper than it would have been. 

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you good health and happiness. Please do stay on here (if you can behave) as @Steve will be a celebrity when his book is published and will no doubt be busy in Hollywood on the screenplay. Therefore I would appreciate another oldie here so we can compare denture fixing creams and where to buy cheap incontinence pants (I already have a supplier and will PM you) 😳

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Becile,

Completely understand your viewpoint and wish you all the very best for the next chapter of your life.  Strikes me that your service is losing ‘one of the good ones’ and will be poorer for it.  

Ive been on this forum for about 15 years and agree with @Dyson about reflecting although alas, I’m not as old or wrinkly as some on here so my FRS journey must continue a little while longer.  

Stay safe mate and congratulations on retiring 👍👍👍

• Thanks 1

Not sure if you have actually worked your last shift yet Becile, but think its safe to say you won't be changing your mind, so all the very best for your retirement and whatever you do next. :)

As the others have said, please stay around, your contributions to the forum over the years have always been appreciated.

On 20/03/2022 at 17:54, Dyson said:

Makes me reflective, for those of us that have been here a while, we have kind of seen each other grow and develop throughout a large part of our fire brigade careers. We’ve seen them join, we’ve seen a few retirements, lots of people come and go I guess.

Have to agree with you Dyson, it does make me wonder though how the forum will develop or evolve as more and more of the regular contributors reach retirement in the next few years, myself included. I suspect, the recruitment sections will no doubt continue to be the busiest part as has always been the case. We should expect to see more activity in the good old days section, the trick though will be how do we get those who have been successful in getting in, step up and continue to keep the operational sections relevant, just as we have done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Keith said:

how do we get those who have been successful in getting in, step up and continue to keep the operational sections relevant, just as we have done.

You can't @Keith. A lot of the new generation coming through are only interested in getting in. You only have to look at the many subscribers we have kept and lost over the years, many simply get what they want through the forums, and then no longer contribute. Don't get me wrong, some stay and become the team players we hope they become, sadly many don't, so they become a minority.

Question is, what do I do with the whole site and forum, once I / we all retire? 🤷‍♂️ 

I don’t know how long we’ve been doing this, must be at least 15 years, so we were about half way in at that point. Bright eyed and full of ideas 😊 ( apart from messy who was already retiring 😃) I remember Carl when he was a grumpy firefighter on a watch, before he started his promotion adventures.   I’ve got 28 in now, and could go but I won’t as still love the job and have things I still want to achieve. I’ll either do till 30 or wait till I’m 55 I think. But who knows what’s around the corner eh ? I never attended any of the meet ups you used to do, kinda wish I had now. Should of made the effort. The new generation aren’t the same as ours, Carl. They join for different reasons and don’t have the same outlook.  

Anyway thanks Becile, your retirement has sent us all into a reflective nose dive ! 😂❤️

• Haha 2

I think you have made the right decision @Becile I, like Messy, went on my 50th Birthday and (although I dream about if often... back on a watch, never and officer), It was absolutely the right thing to do and the right time to go. There is an endless stream of people telling me how apoplectic I'd be with the day to day nonsense of LFB these days.  I have really made the most of my retirement and opportunities came my way which make me much better off financially than I was when I was serving, mostly no more than a few days per week and not all day. I rarely commute at rush hour, I do a lot of work from home so get to go swimming, out for a bit of lunch, go to the gym, or meet up for breakfast with other old B'stards. 

You've earned it mate, make it work well for you and congratulations.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Kudos 1

This is one of those topics I enjoy, its as if we're sitting around the mess table, talking in and around the main subject, with everything else thrown in for good measure.😊

On 22/03/2022 at 07:41, Becile said:

sell it  to nfcc maybe

I hope your tongue is firmly in cheek with this Becile. That's definitely one of the places to start looking if you wonder why the job's in the state it is. The forum would be completely f@*ked if they got hold of it.

On 22/03/2022 at 10:58, Carl said:

Perhaps we need to do a meet up. Its not for the want of trying

We're certainly long overdue a meet up. Hopefully with all the covid restrictions being eased, we'll be able to get something sorted. Having said that though, its like trying to organise a watch night out and as for some of the excuses we've had for not being able to go... 🤣🤣 

• Haha 1

All the best cheif. Never did bump into you in my five minutes in Surrey. Hope you stick around and can relax into being an untactful oaf now you're off the books😂

What do future plans look like?

I can manage untactful, whether employed by frs or not...just ask the Mrs-lol.

Something part time for me, just to tick over, not really bothered about money tbh.