Heathrow Rollover

Messyshaw

I saw on Twitter that Heathrow ALP (CAA not LFB) has rolled on the airport

Everyone is safe, but the appliance doesn't look too well

I didnt even know they had an aerial at Heathrow. I wonder what they will do now until its repaired/replaced ?

Screenshot_20220214-164038_Facebook.jpg

It was introduced iirc when the A380 came into service, specifically to reach the upper deck. 

As I understand the airports Cat 10 fire category is specifically for this type of aircraft (previously it was cat 9).

Legally I don't think those aircraft can fly without the necessary fire cover, which hinges on this appliance. 

• Like 1

Woops!

I believe they had the 42m ALP to address the gap as mentioned by @OscarTango but that was only until they got their escape stairs which now fulfil that role.

The ALP is primarily for domestic use now (as they already owned it) and secondary to the stairs AFAIK.

I remember the instructors at Moreton in Marsh were always very vocal about warnings in relation to driving on runways and taxiways (M in M was an airfield) that they have no camber like you could expect on a public highway 

I wonder this camber-less surface was a cause here, or whether something broke? The appliance can't have a lot of mileage on it though can it? 🤔

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Messyshaw said:

I remember the instructors at Moreton in Marsh were always very vocal about warnings in relation to driving on runways and taxiways (M in M was an airfield) that they have no camber like you could expect on a public highway 

I wonder this camber-less surface was a cause here, or whether something broke? The appliance can't have a lot of mileage on it though can it? 🤔

You read my mind Messy - I was about to suggest the absence of camber could have been a factor.

• Like 1