LFB EPA

JazzyB123

I think it may be End Point Assessment? It is in GMFRS ;)

3 hours ago, JazzyB123 said:

is it risk critical stuff that would get you failed

I would be worried if you passed following a risk critical ?

If you mess up risk critical - you fail. That's pretty much it. It's very hard to fail and yet some cohorts are getting 50% failure, particularly in BA. Get out drilling, get your watch drilling with you and you won't fail

Pretty much. Just train. That's the only reason people are failing, some say their watches fail them by not drilling them - that's a factor but if all else fails, blindfold yourself and walk around landmarking your station. People will laugh but it's your career and money at the end of the day. Happy to help if you need anything

Surely if an apprentice fails, a lot of this falls to the Watch Officers who should have been working with them and getting them to the required standard. If I saw a member of a watch walking round blindfolded in a bid to better themselves in BA, I would be asking serious questions. 

'a massive lack of training'

Isnt that what the evidence presented to the Grenfell Inquiry said?🤔

The LFB really needs to get its training house in order as its the only thing that keeps the crews safe 

• Like 1

18 months in you do the EPA (inclusive of the 3 month training course) so 15 months on station. Its not tied to your competency (earliest this can be attained is 18 months on station) but you can't be deemed competent before you're apprenticeship is complete 

Effective use of a TIC & using good branch techniques is vital to having a good BA wear. Walking around blindfolded won’t really achieve anything. 

When the drill is blindfolded for your EPA and people fail on getting lost and not landmarking the TIC won't be of any use haha!

But I agree effectuce TIC use is critical. Hence its been included on this year's BA course

I think SFJ are the EPA team that do LFB, I work for the NFCC as an EPA and have completed them all over the country. They will be very similar in that you will complete 3 scenarios based on practical skills usually, Fire, RTC, hazmat. Then you will complete a Knowledge assessment and a Professional discussion. You should already have the required standards you just need to present YOUR evidence to meet them. Biggest thing I find is that people don't immerse into the scenarios and they try to tell me the policy, not what they have done over the last 2 years. Try to remember this is just a  dip sample into what you have done over the last 2 years and to get that distinction you need to make sure you can provide a wide response in terms of why you do what you do not just what you do. You have already completed your gateway for competence, this is just a watered down version of that but I emphasise that you've committed 2 years into this so try and get that distinction. I ran  a few workshops with our staff to get them thinking a little wider when it cam to the PD and we had a distinction in the latest group of apprentices and feedback said it was invaluable. Don't forget you own your own evidence but make sure you present the wider impact of what you've done and where it goes i.e. Collaborative work., multi agency, community engagement.

Good luck

Rob

• Like 1