Lock Picking

Highlander

Has anyone dabbled with lock picking operationally?

I've been looking at better ways of gaining entry. After trying a few things, bump keys, pick guns,  picking etc. I seem to have settled using a lock rake as being the least amount of skill required vs chances of opening the lock (euro cylinders and night latches). Seems most incidents can justify a couple of mins with the pick, whilst the rest of the crew prep the more traditional blunt force methods... obviously if you need in ASAP, then go right ahead with the big red key.....

Good topic. Without stating the obvious, can we just be mindful that it's a public forum and we wouldn't want to be giving away trade secrets.

I know there are a million ways that people can get the information online, but I would rather it not have come from here, if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance ;)

• Like 2
  • Kudos 1

Appliances around here carry lock snapper kits far less destructive that the big red key, no guarantees picking a lock would work and most are time critical access for paramedics to snap the lock and in you go and if that doesn't work the big red key comes out still quicker than trying to pick it.

I did some research on lock picking a couple of years ago and purchased some picks etc to give it a bash. I know there are some less urgent occasions, where you a waiting on a key holder and can give it a go. I didn’t have any real luck with picking at home on practice locks; in my opinion it takes too long & all the stresses of an incident (being watched by colleagues etc) don't help.

I thought that maybe lock raking would be a better option. I had some success with padlocks at home and the odd eurocylinder too. I carry a coupe of rakes and a tension tool in my tunic. I have tried it operational maybe twice in that time, but with no luck.

I haven't really explored bump keys, but they could be a possible option.

In my opinion locksmith bypass tools are a route that we should be exploring further, I have purchased a couple of cheap tools and made a few of my own for specific types of locks and situations and had many successes. The shove knife being one of my favourites, I use it all the time. I have an under the door style tool that I made myself, I've only played with it around the station and it works no bother. It just isn't so easy to transport & carry about.

If you haven't already have a look at 'Rise Above Fire Training' and 'Coastal Fire Training' on Facebook.

'Respectful' entry is a growing topic in the American Fire Service. 

• Like 1
  • Kudos 1

The issue with lock picking is the amount of practice required and the rate of skill fade. I’ve been a locksmith for several years and Yhea there’s times when I’m doing my fiddle where I buzz a lock with a pick gun and it falls open then there’s other jobs I’m there hours and nothing seems to work.

It’s for this reason at work all I carry is mica card in a few thicknesses, a thumb turn wire for council flats, and a cam turner for when I pull out the mole grips. 

Snapping is much cleaner and quicker than sledging or cutting through the door. At an goer recently I had the door opened and under control before the ba had the hose reel off

• Kudos 2

This is a cool and interesting topic, particularly interested to hear what doc is saying as a locksmith. However from a practical ops point of view, we don’t have time for all this. There isn’t a shift that goes by that we don’t have to gain entry at least once, and in the majority of occasions we use a window or a lock slip, or it’s the hydraulic door opener. If we cause damage we try to make that good as best we can.  The lock snapper would be no use where I work, those type of doors are rare. 

Really interesting topic, I am a locksmith. 
In a pressure situation, picking a lock, imho, isn’t viable. 
UPVC doors respond to airbag techniques quite well. composite doors tend not to allow frame manipulation. 

Euro cylinders can be snapped or pulled, although, many households now have 3* cylinders fitted, that’s pretty much game over for ND entry. 
Mica card is a great shout and should get you through 90% of night latches, failing that, drill and punch through, again, depending on urgency. 
4” angle grinder gets you into sash locks fitted in outward opening doors

I attended a bailiff job in Sheffield, there was 10 padlocks to get through, simple with an angle grinder. Or would have been if the Bayliff had located the correct premises……..🙄

Anything that’s non time sensitive and where we can’t slip the lock my watch will always go for a window instead. Failing that our big yellow key works for all locks 😂

Recently got Halligan tools on the pumps. In my opinion I much prefer using one of these over the big red key. Just as quick and in all honesty easier for me I feel. 

@Lincoln Bob im a locksmith too 💪🤣 i echo what you said. But sometimes its worth a shot at picking first especially with an EPG.

a good decent EPG can zap a lock open in a matter of seconds (lock depending obviously) lol 

There's been many times I've had to gain entry for the ambulance service and by the time you're setting up drills/air bags etc its quicker to press that button. But that's where you will need to access the situation. And judge the lock.

Lock snappers are mostly pointless unless the lock is sticking out. Best bet there is the good old classic burglar go to tool. 🙄

I guess a lot of it comes to having the ability to perform under that pressure 🤣