Training Notes

Jon

Hi guys,

I'll be doing my wholetime firefighter training in Jan 2022. I know that it is a hard course and I want to give myself as much as a head start as possible.

Does anyone know where I can find generic firefighter training notes online.

Congratulations on the job offer! However regarding your query, unless you know what you specifically want to look at then just wait. The training will be service specific to their own policies and equipment. If you think you will struggle with the course then definitely don’t confuse yourself by learning things that aren’t relevant, see if you can find someone who has recently gone through training for your FRS and ask them if they can provide some learning pointers. good luck! 

• Thanks 1

Hi Jon, 

Congratulations!

I am in a similar position to yourself, so far I have just been watching videos on YouTube- lot of services have uploaded various bits. 
but as above these are more general interest than actual learning tools so take with a pinch of salt. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Hi Jon,

No head starts required! you'll be taught everything from the ground up. Also, it's not unusual to have service 'ism's' as well as constantly changing policy/procedure. I would just give your everything to the course.

Knots and lines is something you could certainly take a look at though.

• Thanks 1

Well done for getting through the process.

As someone who teaches Regulatory Fire Safety to level 3 & 4, context and an explanation behind the words is everything. On an initial 5 day level 3 Fire Auditor's course, they start off pretty 'input heavy' with lots of PowerPoints and videos. Very little of this would mean much more than words unless there is an experienced trainer taking about what is in the presentation and providing context, real examples, layman's explanations and so on.

I'd agree with HB above, apart from getting and staying fit, if you really must, get yourself a small decent piece of rope (line in fire service terminology, that's a free lesson, thank me later) and learn some basic knots that are regularly used within the service. Although there us some commonality, I'd also make sure you specify UK fire service knots if doing an internet search as a lot of results are US fire service related.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

Personally, I would use the NOG as my information bank and make your own notes from there. The benefits to that are that you will pick up other salient information and I feel its gives a far more substantial understanding of a particular subject that flicking through a MOST e-learning package which is used by competent staff. In the early years of development the more you can take on, it will stand you in far greater stead later in your career as you move forward and progress. 

Too often in the current climate it can be argued that the underpinning knowledge of staff had diminished to the point that it has become detrimental to operational response in the early stages of an incident when you will be applying intuitive actions. Again, this is only my opinion but the more you can take on in the early stages, it will stay with you and just require the updates as CPD. The NOG is generic and you will also need to support this with your relevant SOPs once you get into service. We often talk about the decision control process ( DCP) and using this to help make informed decisions buy you must have the underpinning knowledge that enables you to understand the information you are gathering in the first place and this is not just aimed at incident commanders but FF's making safety critical decisions. 

Some of the OLD lads/lasses ( Most on here) will have learnt with our little red books and Service orders but the NOG is the go too these days and often overlooked because of its generic nature but it serves its purpose of being standardised and ensuring we all follow the same guidance, however, it is exactly that, guidance. Please understand that you should be willing to make your own decisions based against these guidance documents and service policies but always have a sound rationale for your decisions and why you have carried out a particular task or made a particular decision, you never know when you will be challenged for this and its important your comfortable with your decision and you've already challenged yourself. 

Anyway, Clarets have just been beat and i needed to get it off my chest :)

Best of luck for your recruits course and the excellent career that awaits you

ATB

Rob

• Like 1