Interlinked Smoked Detection - All Scottish homes

Messyshaw

ALL Scottish homes - new and existing - will have to have interlinked smoke detection installed by February 22 (5 months time) as new legislation is introduced 

The Scottish Govt say that the new law is as a result of Grenfell, and have the support of the Scottish FRS with this requirement

However this former Head of Fire Investigation in SFRS disagrees and calls the law disproportionate ......... I think I agree

Rethink Misguided Smoke Alarm Legislation

Have to agree with you Dyson this is completely unenforceable. It might just about be for new builds or when renovation works involve building control.

I haven't read the legislation, but does it say if they have to be hard wired mains or would wifi interlinked battery devices comply?

Also what are the SFRS going to be fitting when they carryout a HFSC? 

No - its ALL homes, and the legislation is indeed retrospective - and everyone has to get this done in 5 months

It will be enforced by the local authority - for example, when selling your property. I have no idea what the penalties are

SFRS have suspended all HFSRAs (except high risk situations) - but it does put the fire service at the front end of all this. Who will request a HFSRA in Scotland unless they have an interlinked system - and worst still - will there be delays in dialling 999, especially by vulnerable groups who paradoxically are more at risk of fire

Will the SFRS be obliged to report occupiers they come across who are non compliant? Will the police, social services, community nurses?

This law has the potential to damage community fire safety & trust in the fire service to unprecedented levels...... with very little gain to the public:(

Lets hope Boris or Khan (London's Mayor) don't follow this ridiculous precident 

From The Scottish Govt website

Every home in Scotland must have interlinked fire alarms by February 2022. 

The new standard requires:

• one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used for general daytime living purposes
  • one smoke alarm in every circulation space on each storey, such as hallways and landings
  • one heat alarm installed in every kitchen

All alarms should be ceiling mounted and interlinked.

Where there is a carbon-fuelled appliance (such as boilers, fires (including open fires) and heaters) or a flue, a carbon monoxide detector is also required which does not need to be linked to the fire alarms.

The new standard applies to all homes

All homes will be covered by the new standard, as it is important that all homes should be safe for occupants regardless of tenure. 

It will be the property owner’s responsibility to meet the new standard, however, the legal duty to enforce the standard rests with local authorities. 

• Like 1

Exactly the same in France and Luxembourg at least.

I have smoke detectors on the ceilings. In fact, I bought my first smoke detector, but when they became compulsory in France they were handed out. Then, after having some work done in the apartment I was given another.

I have to say they are amazing. I had to have a plumbing job done in the bathroom next to where the smoke detector is, involving brazing. In the end I had to disconnect the detector as it went off at ten second intervals. And that was with the bathroom door shut and the window open.

On 10/09/2021 at 21:08, Messyshaw said:

@Healdav - Are interlinked smoke/heat detectors required by French law, or single point?

As far as I'm aware single point. I can't see why I would need more than one in my apartment. It's only about 20 metres long.

7 hours ago, Lee88 said:

At least they’ve had the sense not to interlink the carbons I’ve had countless arguments on this in the past with site managers 

Carbons? 🤔

• 1 month later...

Interlinked smoke alarms are mandatory here in Queensland. Phased approach but all rental properties and commercial properties (e.g high rises, hotels, etc) must have them by the 1/1/22. In addition any property undergoing renovation of more than $20000. (Approx, 12000gbp) must have them fitted during the reno, then there are a couple more steps with the final step being every property has to have them by 1/1/25.