Small Utility Bag for Personal Kit

J.Tredgett

Is it the norm to fight chimney fires from the roof, In my 36 years I think I have only ever went up on a roof to fight a chimney fire, 1 was a 3 story and the stirrup pump wasnt long enough and the other was a big old country chimney. Put a couple out while wearing BA too, but always from the grate. Maybe its because when i joined our chimney crew was 3 so ladders weren't really an option, neither was calling for backup (out of fear}

Also as regards the trend for personal gear bags for small equipment, I never carried anything on my person as everything I ever needed was on the appliance except the afore mentioned chinograph and even then it was probably just a small stubb as full ones were rare 

Ok, I give - I've only done a measly 10 years so I have no idea what the stones are for? please enlighten me!

EDIT: Ok I re read it and realise it's to pop down the chimney to make sure you put water down the correct one!

@LFB92 You'd think so, but there are a few old properties down here where there are multiple pots and it's like snakes and ladders chasing which fireplace they end up in! (please don't say 'the one with the fire in😂)

But, from the outside, I definitely go with your recommended visual cue! 😂

• Like 1

We will always attempt to extinguish a chimney fire from the hearth using rods and reels in the first instance.

However, I'm not shy in making up for a height appliance if I need access from above.

Like HB2016 said, we come across all sorts of strange things; two fires sharing a common chimney, collapsed loners with smoke coming out all the pots when there is only one fire in use.

A TIC and stones/golf balls become incredibly useful in those situations, when you are trying to establish what goes where!

My top tip at a chimney, before you start smashing the rods in, just pop a cup full of water into the the hearth. Let the steam do it’s job. This will often extinguish any flaming combustion that occurring. Also, Going at the job from the pot, should be a last resort for obvious reasons. 

My top tip is for those of you who carry 'Chimfirestop' on your trucks - don't pop two of them in there 'fire in the hole' style and then find yourself deploying two BA to deal with the mess you just created! (Thankfully, no, I wasn't involved!)

It's like a rescue flare that you strike and put in the chimney and it creates a gas mixture that replaces the oxygen. We have two on every appliance (I've not used one myself operationally) but I hear they can be quite messy...

After getting it on the trucks couple of years ago finally got the chance to use it last month. It worked well but worth giving it a helping hand by taking any logs out first and closing any air intakes to make sure it's as effective as possible. 

Something the brigade should be supplying though, I wouldn't be buying it myself and keeping it in a tunic pocket or glove bag!

• 1 month later...

Kind of linked to this topic, can anyone one recommend a contemporaneous note book that will stand up to fire ground use, something that stands up to a bit of use ?