Smoke Alarms

Matt

Reference rental properties a landlord has to provide adequate smoke alarms do these have to be wired or does battery suffice?

I'm not up on rental as never had to but got a friend looking to rent a property soon and not 100% sure regarding alarms other than knowing they have to be provided.

The Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Regulations 2015 say that landlords have to supply smoke detector on each level where accommodation is provided. 

The type of smoke detector is down to the Landlord to make an 'informed decision' ...... a pretty crap piece of legislation as s/he is bound to choose the cheapest!!

The HMG Q&A booklet on the Regs is here

• 9 months later...

My landlord has supplied me with a smoke detector, but it reacts to literally everything, even if it's just my teapot. Obviously, the landlord would claim that if it works, it's not their problem anymore, but damn, it's annoying. Can I legally "force" them to buy me a new one or, even better, a heat-based detector?

By law, your landlord must apply 'suitable and sufficient ' measures to reduce the risk of fire. Your detection seems to be neither but forcing your landlord might be tricky and expensive.

Contacting your local authority housing dept might help, but why does it keep going off? 

19 hours ago, Jan Pawlowsk said:

My landlord has supplied me with a smoke detector, but it reacts to literally everything, even if it's just my teapot. Obviously, the landlord would claim that if it works, it's not their problem anymore, but damn, it's annoying. Can I legally "force" them to buy me a new one or, even better, a heat-based detector?

Have they provided you with a 'smoke' detector that is placed close to your kitchen/bathroom? Not sure of the size of your home but a smoke detector in circulation areas/living areas and a heat detector near the kitchen would avoid what appear to be false alarm caused by cooking.