EVs on Site

While I'm running my farmer's Audi into the ground, I'm looking seriously at going electric for my next motor in a couple of years. 

The landscape of prices and what's available by then will have changed dramatically so not really a discussion on that, but how many Services allow charging of personal EVs on site?

Although in Kent we have solar panels on literally every station roof (well almost) it's currently not allowed here. 

I can see there being massive pressure to allow it though in the coming years. End of the day you could charge a small salary sacrifice in place of the feed in tariff money you lose. 

We allow it, but not at the expense of any service vehicles which require charging  - service has just purchased whole new fleet of hybrid hyundai and bmw 236 vehicles 

Unless a building is self sufficient power wise such as solar or turbine I could see any business charging their employees for the right to charge up, would cost you if you use a point out there or at home.  They have just added 6 more points to our 4 or 6 we already have but unless your above a certain level you do not seem to be able to use them at present, will be interesting to see what happens.

London stations have charge points. Technically because they are public buildings and come under TFL the charge points are available for public use. But most of them are behind the station gates!

Yes people are allowed to change vehicles, taxis included. But apparently LFB firefighters cannot. I haven’t got an electric vehicle so haven’t looked into it in any detail. 

Yes 😂😂 I think that’s correct. I haven’t read the policy I’m going on what somebody on my watch told me, which as you know is universally accepted as undisputed fact 🤓

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, Messyshaw said:

@Dyson LFB FFs can't charge their vehicles on public charging points outside fire stations? Have I got that right?????

I spot a loophole. If you come in say half an hour before your shift, in civvies, you as a member of joe public pull up at the station and use the public charge point. Stick it on the slow charge setting, you wouldn't want to use too much green energy, then 10 minutes after the end of the shift, again as a member  of the public you call to collect your vehicle. Bonnet de douche, everyone's a winner as Del would say.🤣

• Haha 1

Unfortunately Kieth, the LFB are not know for their kindness, patience and sense of humour towards firefighters! So I think we all stay away from the charging points in case anyone sees us looking at them, suspects us of using one and puts us on a fizzer !! 😂

19 hours ago, Dyson said:

Unfortunately Kieth, the LFB are not know for their kindness, patience and sense of humour towards firefighters! So I think we all stay away from the charging points in case anyone sees us looking at them, suspects us of using one and puts us on a fizzer !! 😂

I would use it anyway. No one is getting sacked for using a 'public' charging point. What's that famous quote by Douglas Bader again? 🤔

I’m unfamiliar with the policy but where I am several EV’s and PHEV’s including black cabs and an uber all share the charge point with the Station Commander, frequent tannoys to juggle the cars around with no drama. Only thing I’ve ever heard discipline wise in London involved running an extension lead out of a window to charge up. 

This sort of demand issue will be around for years

The car industry are pushing EVs and the Govt are supporting them - but the power companies have already said they might have to ration power to them as there won't be enough juice at peak times to supply them (at 5.30 to 7pm when everyone want their car charged along with dinner and their laundry on!)

Meanwhile cash strapped local authorities are overruled by Govt or Mayors when trying to not over develop land with flats - and of course - people in flats  often struggle to charge EVs.

And cash strapped central Govt depts have even more onerous targets to go all EV than the rest of us, and some cash released to buy cars...... but not the infrastructure to support them like power upgrades, IT to allow payments & fire safety work 

What a mess!!!!

On 04/06/2021 at 08:25, Desserts said:

London stations have charge points. Technically because they are public buildings and come under TFL the charge points are available for public use. But most of them are behind the station gates!

When first specified, only the ones outside stations for public use. The ones in rear yards were never intended for public use, no technically about it.

On 04/06/2021 at 14:54, Messyshaw said:

@Dyson LFB FFs can't charge their vehicles on public charging points outside fire stations? Have I got that right?????

No, that is not correct.

• Like 1

Apologies if I hot that wrong Aspire, one of my local stations has them on the forecourt where taxis use them. When this came up in conversation it was said that we weren’t allowed to use them. Perhaps that’s just a story someone add up and it grew legs, it’s not like that doesn’t happen on a daily basis 😃 right I’m off to look for an EV 🤓

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just confirmed in an email from Assistant Director of property to all staff in LFB that there are 232 charging points across the estate available to staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Aspire ! In my imagination, you marched up to union street, kicked open a few doors, and demanded justice for us all ! Then you made them email us saying we can now all charge stuff up at work ! Legend 🤩

if we moan about money, will you do the same thing for a our pay rise please ? 🤞

• Haha 1