BA Cleaning

Following other topics about cleaning down after jobs, clear cabs looks like Surrey have taken the next step with this BA washer.

A step in the right direction following other European services using these as the norm any others in the UK running with them now?

Looks great, that would be good to see all over,

I also seen an American trucks with some sort of misting cleaning shower attached to them, that seemed a good idea for an immediate clean before dressing down kit. Attached a photo 👍

B068A776-B74E-499B-95CF-B2E75C9D148A.jpeg

As part of the project that helped bring these in (clean person concept ) it’s one of a range of things, (personal issue half masks, cleaner cabs, gas detectors, zones on stations , and hopefully a decon/welfare /pod coming to name a few others ) we’ve been lucky to be able link it to the numerous reports which gives a weight to the argument. It makes ultimate sense, but the real kicker for most services is the ££( and time and effort to get major projects like this over the line without someone either having passion or a dedicated team. ( the former for us ..it’s just my GC and me progressing this most of the time ! ))

you should see the difference it makes to the sets, and masks-  years of grime (carbon deposits)coming off, even though we have a procedure for cleaning them after use !

It's great to see this happening although although unless you have someone driving it its going to be slow and I cannot see it taking off in all areas and like you say it will be down to money.  

I believe I am right in saying some overseas European stations have these on all stations, firstly that will never happen over here, down to cost, lack of use and space on some stations but its a start although I think having these years ago would have made a big difference.

With many projects unless you have someone pushing and the dedication is will fall flat unfortunately which is a shame.   

Any pictures of a before and after of a dirty set to a clean one?  Interested in the difference it makes.

I hate the argument (not you @Matt) that cost is prohibitive in the implementation of BA Set cleaners.

If you consider the cost of treatment for firefighters retiring and getting cancer at young ages the cost is many times higher. 

If a Brigade is not implementing readily available equipment on the grounds of cost, then surely they are putting a price on our health? 

• Kudos 1

Very lucky! To put it in perspective, I opened our sealed spare set to put on the run and as soon as the bag was opened I got a big burst of smoke smell out the bag. Clearly they don't get properly scrubbed down when serviced!

The rest of the guys were indifferent to what this meant to the air we breathe

In my opinion it would only work in London if like with the PPE you send them away after a job and they get cleaned and tested, hold a few more spare sets on station and the OSU’s can deliver additional as required. 

• Like 1

Don't go using common sense to solve the issue!

Getting back to the original post, what's the capacity and turn around time to complete a cycle on these machines?

Wash, 5 10 or 22 mins, dry 2(not sure think 20) mins, for 4 complete ba sets(backplates, masks and cylinders) We will.be looking at decon following incidents as well.

We reckon with BA hot wears we will have turned around every  set a year if we dont do more.

So in reality you could get all the sets cleaned after a job within an hour? That's usually the time needed after a shout to get back on the run with showers, changed uniform, PPE etc

• Kudos 1

The only way I can see this working from a financial point of view would be to have them dotted around the areas similar to BA compressors for those not lucky to have them on station but then you could still be miles away from one, rely on the van bringing spare cylinders.  Until such time money and space on station its not going to happen and how can you really justify the cost of putting one on every station for what little BA work some station will do (retained mainly) can you justify or do you have a set of pool BA sets in full that can be swapped?

What is the plan in Surrey, is is every station or just key ones?  I'm all for it but got to look at the investment, space, maintenance costs, how much its used v spare sets or going to another station.  Put a couple in a training section would catch a good few sets as a starter.

On 23/05/2021 at 08:31, Jono86 said:

Looks great, that would be good to see all over,

I also seen an American trucks with some sort of misting cleaning shower attached to them, that seemed a good idea for an immediate clean before dressing down kit. Attached a photo 👍

B068A776-B74E-499B-95CF-B2E75C9D148A.jpeg

Most US pumping appliances are side mounted pumps, no mass decon units just park 2 pumps opposite each sprays from delivereys and run the punters up the middle