Ladder'isms

OscarTango

We've got some new trainees at station and so we've been sticking some ladders up as you do. 

One thing I've always been taught on courses and selection days etc is you climb the ladder with the same leg and arm together. Why is this? 

I boulder/rock climb a fair bit and you never move the same side, it's always "contra lateral", like when you run the opposite arm swings to the leg that's moving. Doing it the same side makes your centre of gravity "barn door" to one side if you lose your grip.

I've got used to it at work but it's never seemed that safe to me and instructors always seemed to pick people up on it for climbing the more "natural" way. 

• Like 2

I've offered wondered this. Doesn't make sense to tick tock up and down.

My only guess would be about back in the golden era when carry downs over the shoulder were the norm and it was more secure to have same arm, same leg. 

• Like 1

Was drummed into us at training school 'you're not window cleaners so don't climb the ladder like you are one!' Ironically a few years later you end up with about one window cleaner per watch 😄

• Haha 2

I also believe it was a rare carry down safety measure aimed at not rocking the poor sod around too much on your shoulders thereby upsetting your joint centre of gravity

But the two unusable things I recall being drummed into us were which rounds on a hook ladder were reinforced with a metal rod under it, and even more useless info, the order that an escape ladder cable is rove.

I had this graffiti'd onto the wall next to my desk at training school in readiness  for the weekly test

Drum, pulley, pulley, hook  pulley, hook

Not bloody once in 43 years has that come up in a pub quiz- gutted!

• Haha 2

Did anyone ever actually use a hook ladder in action, so to speak?

They gave me the creeps, and I don't recall ever being told which rungs to hold.

As for a carry down on one...... Surely with a vertical ladder and someone on your back you would be holding on for dear life as the weight would be dragging you away from the ladder? And as for stopping at each floor and moving the ladder. Now that is really scary. and near impossible, I would have thought.

You just going to sit there and take that @Messyshaw, don’t get up without the nurse btw.

Edited by Carl
Quote removed as its a direct quote of the previous post.
10 hours ago, Healdav said:

Did anyone ever actually use a hook ladder in action, so to speak?

The only job I was involved with was a fire in Swiss Cottage where hook ladders were used to reach 2 casualties who were lowered by line.

There was a slight hiccup when at least one casualty  was dropped the last few feet, but a fantastic job beyond the call of duty 

I have never heard of a hook ladder carry down. I am sure I would have fancied it 

I mentioned it because I had to learn to use one, but when the instructor was questioned about them all he could say was, "You have to learn to use one". Not exactly a useful answer.

Edited by Carl
Quote removed as its a direct quote of the post above. Please see FAQ.
  • Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Isn’t it to do with the oscillations when climbing a ladder? Especially a 135 with housed poles. Also seem to remember it’s better for carrying a roof ladder over your shoulder but that might just be piffle.

Hampshire teach it, it feels wrong to climb a FS one differently

Was always told it’s to do with oscillation or bounce in the ladder. 
another reason is it harks back to when fire services first came to be and we used people from the navy, because they were use to climbing rope ladders or rigging, you had to climb like this otherwise it’s near impossible, it’s become part of the institution.