Lancashire AT Stinger

Well having retired from Lancashire earlier this year, just prior to this going on the run, i thought i would post to se what others thought. I lead the project for the Service and had some work to do to put a business case to trial the machine, in conjunction with our fleet engineer. However, we got the go ahead and It was a really interesting project and watching it being built, I enlisted 2 operational FF's from Blackburn and Burnley, where it was to be stationed during the year trial to help develop the concept. they assisted with the design specs and concept of ops as well as being trainers for the machine when it was delivered.

It wasn't just the Water tower and Stinger that we wanted to test although obviously they were hugely important, it was also all the Rosenbauer AT as an appliance and their storage system, and their pump. It is on the run as the second pump at Blackburn and is going to all the small incidents as well as the larger, to see what works and what needs to change. The Stinger package has been used a number of times and providing the water supply is sufficient it is a really effective water tower.

Ive seen alot of its progress on Twitter, especially when dealing with a container fire as a demo. Is it being used across the service, kinda like getting the moneys worth? Are Lancs likely to purchase any more?

It's an interesting looking vehicle, nice ideas re: stowage and cab. Just not quite getting the stinger though, have I seen something similar before? I've not looked but what is its height/reach/working envelope? Please educate me! 

Old Stinger.jpg

10 hours ago, Luminoki said:

Ive seen alot of its progress on Twitter, especially when dealing with a container fire as a demo. Is it being used across the service, kinda like getting the moneys worth? Are Lancs likely to purchase any more?

In relation to across the Service, it can be requested, and was to an incident in N Yorks where Lancs were in attendance, and the Stinger was used to to penetrate roof and walls of an industrial unit and by all accounts knocked what had been a deep seated fire enough for crews to re-enter. The machine is being evaluated as part of the partnership, and at the end of the year a decision will be made.

7 hours ago, Dot said:

It's an interesting looking vehicle, nice ideas re: stowage and cab. Just not quite getting the stinger though, have I seen something similar before? I've not looked but what is its height/reach/working envelope? Please educate me! 

Old Stinger.jpg

Dot, you are right in a lot of respects this is nothing new, and Lancs back in the 70's had a Simonitor.

The water tower element is a 16m height, with a monitor capability of 4500lpm. The jet throw is amazing and if honest better than the ALP, providing you have sufficient water for the pump. The Stinger element is stolen from the Air Crash Rescue market, and Lancs wanted to see whether it has a use within a domestic / industrial firefighting set up, and when the spike is used it puts out up to 1000 lpm fog spray in a 360 degree pattern . The reports i have had so far (as i am now out of the Service, but keep in touch) is that there are applications where it has proved useful. It is an addition to the Aerials, but means we don't have to tie up a support appliance, and can act as a powerful pump for the fireground (5400 lpm) 

This looks like a quality piece of kit. I've often cringed when at large jobs involving the roof and all that's being achieved is giving the intact part of the roof a good wash...funny it's almost like they're designed to keep water out o.O

Got to say, when I first started seeing stingers on airport trucks, the potential for warehouse/roof jobs is certainly apparent. Now if there was a click/bolt on version for aerial monitors......