Recent Fire Service College Recruits

FF702

Hi, first post here. I start my 10 week training for Leicestershire Fire rescue at The fire service college in Moreton-in-Marsh, just wondering whether anyone had done their training there? What's it like? What to expect? Any tips for a successful journey. Thanks in advance 

Have only been there on courses after training, great facilities and you'll learn a lot by the level of the training aids. You'll love it. Food is good and the accommodation is as well. The gym and bar should be open now as well

Cheers for that. I can't wait! 

Edited by Carl
Quote removed as its a direct quote of the previous post. Please see FAQ.
  • Like 1

You're lucky, I would have loved to have done my entire basic course there. It'll be tough at the time but you'll look back and think they were ten of the best weeks of your life.

Work hard down there, volunteer for as much as you can take it all in and don't forget to get down the village and try the local pubs out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tony, you will love it, the facilities there are awesome and they have some very talented people there to teach you.  I’ve spent many months there over the years as a student and teaching. 

I really wouldn’t expect you to be drinking in the bar on a recruits course. I’d expect you to be in revision groups or at the gym. Call me old fashioned if you like ....🤩

Enjoy and welcome to the best job in the world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Kudos 3

I have great memories of Moreton and have been fortunate to have attended a few courses and been involved with projects based there both when.in the LFB and since 'retirement' 👍👍

• Kudos 1

Depending on when you go, the fire ground has a tendency towards extreme weather.  By that I mean it can be cold on site but out on the yard it can be FREEZING being so exposed.  If summertime sunscreen is a must too.  

Lastly, although the gym and pool are great, a lot of folks I see there bring their bikes.  You’re in the middle of the cotswolds and many make the most of the awesome cycling.  Although as a recruit you may not get time 😉

• Thanks 1

I start induction week commencing May the 4th (be with you) then begin at FSC on the 10th, so will be decent weather not too hot, although I will still be there in peak summer time 😬 sweating hell. Definitely will try to at least get a run around the Cotswold as I don't have a bike. Scenery must be amazing. 

• Like 1

I did 8 weeks out of 11 of my training at Moreton, was a brilliant experience lots of facilities you don’t get anywhere else. The ability to change venue and have insights from very experienced trainers from not just one brigade was invaluable. 
Although the daily pie and Mars bar did make us gain a bit of weight! 

• Like 1
  • Kudos 1
  • 4 months later...
On 23/04/2021 at 08:35, Noddy said:

Depending on when you go, the fire ground has a tendency towards extreme weather.  By that I mean it can be cold on site but out on the yard it can be FREEZING being so exposed.  

Jeez, I'm going in January. 

Thats one of the great things about the place! Challenging conditions make training that little bit better!

Besides, you'll be too hot in your kit to notice

It is brutal there when it is hot... in a windless valley. I remember teaching on the fireground when I was with LFB's Officer Development Group in 1999, I was melting in the 'pink' fire gear and one of the older instructors, a very lovely man but with impeccable standards, was like "No, we set the standard, we are just observing while they are working, so we remain fully rigged if they have to" 🥵 That was before all of the modern thinking about keeping cool and well hydrated. 

Thing is with Moreton's micro-climate, whatever the weather it seems to be colder/wetter/hotter/foggier/snowier that just a few miles along the road?? 😉

• Like 2
  • Kudos 1