Part-Time Study LFB

Hi all,

Unsure if this is the right place to post this but I'm currently starting my journey with LFB and I was wondering after my training and getting competent status, am I able to go off to study either full time or part time and would the fire service cater for this? I'm yet to finish my undergrad and would like to complete it..

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts or experiences regarding this :)

Dependent on what it is, you could either take an unpaid career break or if it is fire related, apply for sponsorship which comes with a certain amount of time off.

• Like 1

Unsure on the length of service you need but you normally have to make some sort of business case for a career break if it isn't for some sort of domestic issue. Personal development does fall under the reasons for a career break but you have to explain how it will benefit the brigade. You have to make an even bigger case if you want your study sponsored and paid time off for it. You'll probably be best doing it in your time off or in those *ahem* extended downtime periods.

• Like 2

Probably best to keep it under your hat for now and focus on the training and development phases. Can’t imagine many watches being delighted to get a recruit who turns up on the first day enquiring about a career break! 

• Like 2

@BurtMacklin Haha ofcourse not! Being a firefighter has been a life long dream for me so I'm staying with it till the end! I just wanted to finish my degree and get that out of the way, I'd imagine it would help with progression and personal development etc.

My post was solely about how to get off on the right foot with the people you will work with. Who all, in some way or other will spend their time and efforts helping you to develop. You will have ample time to research and plan your career break when you get on station just keep it under your hat is all! Oh and I’ve known people take career breaks to go travelling the world so finishing a degree should not be a problem! Good luck 

• Like 1