Kit Checks

I'm looking for some advice on how other services do kit checks. We're still taking a piece of paper out with each locker laid out and ticking it off the list. I've got lots of problems with this:

1. It's prone to not being done. No one wants to check the vast swathes of paper so there's little accountability, and some just copy the sheet from the previous watch.
  2. Paper breaks. The binder is full of loose sheets where the holes have ripped and kit checks are just flung in, or fall out.
  3. It's a waste of paper
  4. When you've got multiple pumps and many complex specials, kit checks can take an age, which breeds apathy.
  5. Inconsistency with other watches and stations.

Do any services use technology or have any good systems for doing kit checks that are beyond this bronze age strategy? 

I know I think it was Emergency One introduced RFID technology weather it was rolled out or an option that auto checks kit off and warns if anything is missing.  This is the same technology as used when the beepers go off at the door when they try and nick stuff i.e. DVD's with the little sticker on it.

For me that is the best option as you don't need to do anything it warm's you when something is missing although I suspect not cheap to implement.  Barcoded option is probably next popular but requires someone still to check each bit of kit off same with paper except that barcode uploads it all for you and more accurate.

We print off the tracked items with serial codes on each change of watch. Was noticed a while back that someone had ticked them as complete when we actually had the wrong TIC on the truck. Sounds minor but if it was stolen you can't account for which one is missing

But barcodes sound great until they're on kit that gets dirty and damaged... bit of an issue. We had them on rifles and night vision in the army and they never worked after being bashed about

Also.... I know it's a pain. But there really isn't an excuse for not properly checking the appliance. You have a 10ish hour shift and it takes half an hour. Amy firefighter who can't be bother to Do a proper inventory needs a head wobble.

3 hours ago, CaptainFlack said:

@WTTJ do you mean kit checks at change of watch or day/night work as part of the weekly routine?

Change of shift Kit checks

2 hours ago, Rory-495 said:

We print off the tracked items with serial codes on each change of watch. Was noticed a while back that someone had ticked them as complete when we actually had the wrong TIC on the truck. Sounds minor but if it was stolen you can't account for which one is missing

But barcodes sound great until they're on kit that gets dirty and damaged... bit of an issue. We had them on rifles and night vision in the army and they never worked after being bashed about

Also.... I know it's a pain. But there really isn't an excuse for not properly checking the appliance. You have a 10ish hour shift and it takes half an hour. Amy firefighter who can't be bother to Do a proper inventory needs a head wobble

I do agree with your last point. 

5 hours ago, WTTJ said:
  1. It's prone to not being done. No one wants to check the vast swathes of paper so there's little accountability, and some just copy the sheet from the previous watch.
  2. Paper breaks. The binder is full of loose sheets where the holes have ripped and kit checks are just flung in, or fall out.
  3. It's a waste of paper
  4. When you've got multiple pumps and many complex specials, kit checks can take an age, which breeds apathy.
  5. Inconsistency with other watches and stations.
  1. If its not being done, then you have issues on your station/watch and I would be looking at your Watch and Crew Managers, manager, being the descriptive word here. 
  2. Laminate the inventory and then have a single signature on the duty sheet to say its all correct
  3. See number 2
  4. Tough, its part of the job to check kit is correct
  5. See number 1
  • Like 2

Be your own standard. I agree with a laminated piece of paper. Every firefighter has a duty to ensure their truck is carrying the correct life saving equipment. Too much laziness in the fire service at the moment. This isn’t in any way a dig at you 

Managers are aware as it's more a station issue that we're trying to deal with on station. I'm just taking a passing interest in improving the way we do things on station, or as a service.

Our service needs a record of each kit check to see where kit may have gone missing, so the laminate idea doesn't float I'm afraid.

Point four is the least important, but if we could do something better that we also enjoy more, then that's a bonus

If there are 4 watches on a station each with a WM, then collectively they need to ensure that the first point is being carried out by those they are responsible for. I would also say the SM has accountability also. 

If the service insists on paper, then they either adopt a method that uses less or go to a digital system. In GMFRS the laminated sheet works well, simply ticking off what is stowed and what's missing. Anything reported missing is then followed up with whatever report form is required. Whoever checks the lockers then signs a single sheet to say that all is good.

It's a good topic you raise. I would be interested to see just how many services do similar to ourselves or similar to yourselves ?

Got to agree with @Carlon this one, As a station Commander in charge of two stations with specials, it’s not an unreasonable expectation that the checks are done correctly on time and signed for. I regularly check the records, anyone/watch not doing them , watch duty books detail it and like most brigades have signatures or initials required in various places. We’ll be having a conversation to explore why if incomplete or missing - Lazy ness is never an excuse, neither is different watches doing it differently, it’s laid down how to do checks, Jfdi, (sorry if that offends) there’s  enough hours in the shifts, and if a really busy shift doesn’t allow for it, how about the night shift coming on do it, I would hope the watches are capable of working that one out. Paper or electronic recording, the checks still need to be done.

I’ve never quite understood the problem with doing kit checks properly. 

Imagine if pilots had the same attitude. “Don’t worry, the controls were working last flight according to the previous pilot so I’m sure they will be fine now”. Talk about being left with a potential smoking gun in your hand if a vital piece of equipment is needed at a job and the checks haven’t been done properly. 

Personally, I feel every appliance should have its own version of a large BA type bound book (pages don’t fall out). Every page lists the equipment, two tick box columns stating ‘equipment present’ and ‘in working order’ (creates ownership of physically checking the equipment) and a print name and signature box. Then digitally, all is required is one tick on the system to confirm daily checks have been done by whoever is responsible. Cuts out unnecessary paperwork and the individual is covered.

Saying all this, it probably won’t be long before you’ll be able to do it via a tablet or MDT. Any missing equipment that’s not ticked will automatically send a report so it can be replaced/ investigated by WM/SM etc. 

We tried tell tale tags on some of the bags/boxes, it was pointed out that if you had to take every bit of kit out of the rescue apppliance you would be there all morning.

However don't get me started on hoops that leave sets on/or below min pressure but sign the book off anyway.

I dont think theres anything particularly wrong with pieces of paper. We have the usual weeklies, monthlies and quarterlies in a folder and room enough to sign a date on each heck for a number of weeks. Having a signature and a brigade number on the last check date is pretty accountable in my opinion.

At the last one pump station I was at the standard tests were split throughout out the week, so youd do a few items beginning of a shift and stayed on top of it without too much mental bother.

At a two pump station with also a height vehicle and a DIM then we have to do it appliance by appliance which does obviously take longer. Personally I like the idea of plastic tags and the like. At one stage stuff like the recip saw or the W@H kit would be bound with cling film, if it was still intact you could be pretty sure it hadnt been used from the previous test. Though this was stopped as it was considered that it was an excuse to not do the whole test which is a little bit of tail wagging the dog.

Why make things over complicated, pen and paper I would agree works although its open to abuse, don't ask me why some would skimp on things like that but that's a topic for another post.

I think going forward with what is available things should be digital, either a barcode you scan (reduces errors of ticking the wrong box) and against a service number then to a RFID system linked to the truck all have pros and cons.

For some RDS they might get paid 2 hours during the week to do checks before drill night and can probably rattle them off in 30 mins i.e. scan all items, standard tests done by someone else.  Two ways to look at this inventory of kit versus standard checks, @Carlhas already mentioned in previous posts about BA sets been downloaded and discrepancies been dealt with, its all good and well ticking off boxes on a sheet but does anyone spot check them?  Are issues discovered, is it the same person every week doing the inventory and its not been questioned in the 5 years say they have been doing it.

Digital system it should pick a random crew member to do the checks each week, not allow anyone to do checks on consecutive weeks, then an issues are highlighted.

I do daily checks at work and no one ever checks it, I hate doing them every day as sometimes wonder if I am missing something, I pick up issues the others haven't.

Checks are done from a FS point of view to ensure everything is there and serviceable when you come to need it.  It's everyone's responsibly to check and test and good to buddy up and have 2 people sign off even if its a bit of paper.

Im oncall , we do our weekly checks before drill via Redkite system. 

One of us does Full Inventory, one driver checks & another standard tests on whats due that week .  Split between 3 of us rotated weekly so we all change round . I think that works well in case say for example i think im checking kit right but am missing something it gets picked up by others.   

takes me the extra 1-2hours to do it before everyone else comes to drill but i see it as one of most important jobs going. 

I do it right aswell , so when im putting  that BA on or reaching for what i want i know its there & i know its functioning properly. 

Redkite system works well, scan everything it all has a “FED” number with each item linked to the appliance, if we’re on a big job & at the end take others lines or ppv for instance it gets zapped up straight away on our “after use” checks after the job telling us who's it is & where it belongs.  I think thats a great system