Babcock BIG Learning

Sean25

Wonder if anyone can help with an issue I am having with the Babcock BIG pre learning.

When I started my pre learning the first two modules "Study and Memory Skills" & "Cyber Security" both had a narrator sound.

Now when I've started my Fire Science 1 I have no narrator sound. its much easier learning with the narrator sound and just wanted to know if its normal not to have it for the rest of the modules? I find it much more helpful having it and its definitely not my computer settings either. 

Sorry mate, I've literally been where you are recently basically, read up the document ones that come with it.

You'll learn fast that big learning is terrible, some of it very out of date glitches all sorts etc lol, prepare yourself and just read the documents of you can't have the narrator playing.

• Thanks 1

I don’t think all of them have a narrator, most of them do. Then sometimes it switches between a male and female voice too, that throws you off! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's basically a very very bad system full of glitches and errors. Best bet is to access the pdf versions of each module (also on the big learning site) and utilise them.

The best way I found was go straight to the key point summary at the back, then study based off that. Then a cursory read over the document. Make study notes etc as needed then speak to your course to clarify any details or things you didn't understand

• Thanks 2

Ok makes sense. I'll get all the modules printed and into a folder and work that way.

Cheers for the replies. Welcome day this week so will pass these tips onto the rest of my cohort.

2 hours ago, Rory-495 said:

It's basically a very very bad system full of glitches and errors. Best bet is to access the pdf versions of each module (also on the big learning site) and utilise them.

The best way I found was go straight to the key point summary at the back, then study based off that. Then a cursory read over the document. Make study notes etc as needed then speak to your course to clarify any details or things you didn't understand

That's what I meant, read the PDF 👍🏻

If this system is so poor you need to be raising the issue, firstly with the training provider and more importantly with LFB. I don't know how the training setup is structured between internal LFB and the sub contractor, some of our London members who have gone through the process will be better placed to advise.

• Like 1

LFB are and have been aware for a long time. Remarkably, it a much improved version than where it was the first couple of years.

I don’t work in our training department, so can’t speak on the in’s and out’s of any future aspiration, but it has definitely been a bug bear for most of the 8 or so years we have had it.

• Like 1

Well not been on my course long, but one example is that the big learning section on pumps was the Merc mark 2 not 3 so we have to wait till night before to receive pdf on pumps rather than being able to read before hand! Not helpful

Not to detract from the main topic of this being big learning in relation to a recruits perspective. But another issue is these packages are repeated and regurgitated for refresher training as part of DaMOP on station (station based training/lectures for non LFB) - so the LFB is well aware of the issues with the packages. 

That being said, it does work and is miles ahead of previous packages I hear.