Preparing to Start

Kai.Morgan

I've recently been offered a role as a Wholetime Firefighter with North Yorkshire, however my training isn't due to begin until April.

Having not worked in an on-call vicinity or anything such like I'm aware I'll have a massive learning curve when I do start, so I was just wondering if people had any advice on steps I could take to prepare in the meantime?

I feel comfortable with the fitness element its more just knowledge of the role and the many different technical aspects within it. So recommendations of any reading material, videos, general advice etc. would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Genuinely, stay fit and do anything they have asked of you (any pre course learning prescribed) and maybe learn some knots. Other than that I'd not try to find stuff to learn as the training course will be set out in a progressive and structured way 

• Thanks 2

Listen to the Grenfell podcasts, especially the ones with LFB evidence. Many of the podcasts will have guest speakers who explain the evidence and/or equipment which is being discussed. It's not heavily technical and can be listened to when commuting/driving.

You could get the IFE Elementary Fire Engineering Handbook. Costs about £30 but might come in handy if your FRS requires IFEs as part of the promotion process. Lots of information in there which is useful for firefighters too. As mentioned though, the course will be designed to get you to a level where you can be a useful member of a watch. As long as you are physically fit, you might find you're already ahead of some others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Learn knots and keep fit. There is a lot to learn and what you don't want to have to do is 'unlearn' self taught stuff that was wrong or misinformed. 

The best thing you can take with you is a good attitude. Work hard in the classroom, on the drill yard and in your free time. Good luck

• Thanks 2

Other than what has been said, I’d just say relax. Enjoy a beer (or six) and watch some films or series while you can, because the next 11 weeks you will have so much stuff to learn and the days will be long, and at times tiring, that you won’t have much time for owt else.

You'll get taught all you need to know and there is no expectation - aside from the pre-learning LFB give you (if they still do).

• Thanks 1
On 11/11/2020 at 21:49, Mowzertron said:

Listen to the Grenfell podcasts, especially the ones with LFB evidence. Many of the podcasts will have guest speakers who explain the evidence and/or equipment which is being discussed. It's not heavily technical and can be listened to when commuting/driving.

You could get the IFE Elementary Fire Engineering Handbook. Costs about £30 but might come in handy if your FRS requires IFEs as part of the promotion process. Lots of information in there which is useful for firefighters too. As mentioned though, the course will be designed to get you to a level where you can be a useful member of a watch. As long as you are physically fit, you might find you're already ahead of some others.

Sorry do you know a link to where I can find those podcasts? Thanks

Whilst the Grenfell inquiry is very important, I don't think listening to the podcasts will be of any use to anyone waiting to start training. 

Stick to maintaining your fitness and any pre learning required.

• Thanks 1

As Keith says, I listened to them driving to an from training just out if interest. It didn't add anything to my training in particular

Fitness fitness and more fitness along with any prescribed learning 

• Thanks 1

Great insights. I'm hoping for positive news after my final interview for the NIFRS earlier this week. Just with regards to the fitness element of the firefighter training course, could anyone give some insight into what type of fitness drills/tests/training takes place over the 16+ weeks of the course?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 12:26, Kai.Morgan said:

I feel comfortable with the fitness element its more just knowledge of the role and the many different technical aspects within it. So recommendations of any reading material, videos, general advice etc. would be greatly appreciated. 

Congrat Kai! I've also been offered a wholetime role with North Yorkshire. Been recommended to read the Fire and Rescue Service Manual (Foundation Training and development) and you can download the manual via this forum too (thank you Carl for making these available) Manual

• Like 1